Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Connaught Rangers

Devils Own

Greetings to everybody

I joined the forum last week. Its a great facility and what an excellent site The Long, Long Trail is.

My interest is the Connaught Rangers in the Great War. I have learned quite a lot about the 5th Bn from my mother, as her father served with it. She has lots of stories, so if there are any other 5 Bn descendents out there scratching for snippets of info. let me know and I can see if she can be of help.

Fortunately I have been able to piece together my Grandad's story quite well. That must be some much easier for a soldier from a small regiment like the Connaughts. I was trying to put the icing on the cake by getting a look at his war records and went to the NA to achieve this. His was obviously one of the burnt documents but I thought I might have some luck with WO 364 as he was on a pension after being wounded and taken POW in October/November, 1918.

But he wasn't in WO 364 either. Does anybody know if WO 364 contains only soldiers who were discharged to pension? It is my thinking that, because he was not actually discharged as it was too close to the end and he was POW, he would not be in WO 364 either. Would anybody agree with this? Would any records have been kept by the Connaughts?

Best regards

Steve

Hi Steve ... can't help with your specific request ... but suggest you contact another forum member called (surprise,surprise) Connaughtranger! He may know a little more

Des

Thanks Des

Steve