Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Promotion of Other Ranks in War Time

Guest FRANKBARTHOLOMEW

Guest FRANKBARTHOLOMEW

To open a spin-off from the recent debate on officers: in war time, what would decide if a man should be promoted from Private to Lance Corporal, and further up the ladder?

I know that in peace time, it was determined by a soldier's passing of the Education Diploma. But what about in the war?

Also, how would this affect a regular soldier post-war, and what system was used for regulars in the Boer War?

The commanding officer of the Battalion, or Regiment in the case of cavalry, could promote NCOs if there was a vacancy in the unit (but not otherwise). Some of the ranks may be unpaid, as in the case of many Lance Corporals which may become paid. I don't think, but someone may know more, that examinations affected the prospects for promotions at a very junior level, perhaps only for sergeant. Certainly during the war men could be and were promoted for service in the field to Lance Corporal and Corporal and I presume to Sergeant (although I haven't come across an example of the latter). There were plenty of acting ranks, I presume tgis was where there was only a vacancy due to wounds or sickness. After the war time-expired and duration only men were demobed so only those necessary to make the establishment remained as regular service men.

The Army First Class Cert. of Education was a pre-requisite for commissioning from the ranks.

I can, if there is demand, probably sort out the direct usefulness of the second and third classes. I am as certain as can be that possession of any of these was not a necessary condition for the more junior NCO ranks/appointments.

I do know of promotions from Private to Sergeant in the war ...... and back. As to whether acting or temporary or substantive, I am not sure it bothered too many at the time, although eventually pounds shillings and pence mattered again.