Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

GROUP PHOTO - ARTILLERY

Guest birdflightless

Guest birdflightless

Hi All,

I would like to share the attached photo with you all. My Grandfather 27217, Sgt. F.W. Newman is centre row, 4th from the right. I believe the photo is taken in 1925/26, not sure of the location - could be at Aldershot.

Any suggestions to the whereabouts or if anyone could name some of the men I would be very grateful.

Hi there,

The image doesn't seem to be posted?

Steve

I would hazard a guess that this is Larkhill which is the home of the Royal Artillery on Salisbury Plain and has been for over a 100 years. This looks like a staff photo of all the permant staff on the camp.

Cheers,

Rob

On the other hand, it could be Woolwich given that there is lighting provided

A quick look at the photo indicates that there are two officers and at least seven warrant officers and all the remainder are serjeants. This might indicate that we are looking at an NCO Instructor of Gunnery course photo. Dick Flory

Dick,

I would agree there is a WO1 on the left of the officers so would expect the central officer to be either a senior major or Lt Colonel so a senior management team at least.

Cheers,

Rob

Guest birdflightless

Thank you for your replies.

The Gunnery Instructor Course makes sense, my Grandfather was posted as a gunnery instructor in 1920 to The Bute mountain Battery, based in Rothesay until 1926 when he was discharged medically unfit.

Regards

Stewart