Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help needed once we have our MIC

Steve Albin

Hi Folks,

My grandfather earned the following 4 medals while in France from 1915 onwards.

Victory

The Star

British War Medal

Silver War Badge

Which would be the best way to obtain more details about him on-line ?

From what I can gather it is only the MIC information that is available on-line.

Thanks in advance

Kind Regards

Steve

Steve,

check out the mother site to see where his battalion was then go from there,

questions not answered then if you still need help ask away here there are many folkes on here will be able to help i'm sure,

there is also the National archives to visit too if you can get there,

Mandy.

Steve,

Mady is referrring to the long long trail. The link is in the top left of the page.

It will give you loads of info on every aspect of the war, enjoy!!

Anthony

Current Online search facilities for those who survived go little further than the MiC &/or London Gazette for Awards such as MM,DCM,etc;@ present,however by employing a Researcher{many can be found online & in Medal News etc;] further steps can be taken{Its how we had to do it in the "Old Days"}From the MiC The Medal Roll Pages can be obtained,for the Star & BWM/Victory,The Roll page on the MiC for the War Badge can also be obtained which carries a host of extra information.

As he was in receipt of the SWB there is a better than average chance that his Service Record Survives too.

Add to that a search of contemporary1914~18 local papers & you have just about gone as far as you can,then there is also Family,who may need a bit of "prodding" to recall or locate photos etc; ;)

Many thanks to Mandy,Harry and Anthony.

I thought it might get down to the fact I will need to employ someone to carry out further research.

I have spent many hours online trying to get info fron TNA/Kew but each time I hit a brick wall except for my grand dads medal card....thank God for small mercys.

He was RFA,Regular Army from Bradford in 1906 before immigrating to Australia in 1912 only to be forced back to the UK in 1914 :(

Kind Regards

Steve