Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ieper visit with elderly relatives

John_Hartley

Pals

In a moment of madness, I have offered to take the parents-in-law to Ieper for a couple of days.

On my past trips, I've always had specific places I wanted to visit for research purposes so have never really done a "proper tour" of the area. So, I'd welcome any thoughts about where I should/could take them - the main constraint being that neither of them are very mobile (can't stand for very long or walk very far), so places will need to be very close to where I can get the car.

Father-in-law is an ex-regular soldier serving in Trieste after WW2 and, later, in Cyprus & Aden. He's always wanted to attend the Menin Gate ceremony which we will do on both nights (although he has no specific interest in WW1, as such). We'll be having a look round the Spoilbank and Menin Road areas which represent 17/Manchester's two visits to the Salient (he remembers my grandfather Tom Brough) and after whittering on about those events, we'll probably go up to St Julian and I'll whitter about 6/Cheshire on 31/7/17.

Mother-in-law will be happy to be just having the trip and ecstatic if provided with food, new shops to look at, and large gins at regular intervals.

I'm sure that we've discussed "elderly relatives trips" before, but I can't find the discussions in "search". Your advice is much appreciated.

John

The Hooge Crater Museum & Cemetery should be OK for them with relatively easy parking & everything in easy walking distance

All The Best

Chris

I would stick mainly with the attractions of Ypres itself. Sidetrips to Tyne Cot and Poperinghe and Talbot House ? If you want to add a bit of variety Bruges always seems to go down well with the oldies.

John,

I believe I may have started the thread you spoke of but I cant find it either in the Search. It may be under "disabled"

As for visits:

Essex Farm, for the canal, dressing stations and of course John Macrae and easy parking.

Yorkshire Trench again easy parking and not too far to walk

Tyne Cott is a must for any first time visit to Ypres, but as you will know a bit of a hill

Hooge, for the museum and cemetary opposite

Have a good trip

Patrick

Thanks for the ideas, guys. I'm starting to get a feel for what we might do. Only downside is that it's ages away - not till next Spring.

John

Don't forget Bedford House Cemetery and Lijssenthoek.

If they have not seen a large war cemetery before, these are more atmospheric than Tyne Cot, virtually as big, more attractive, invariably empty of visitors, easy parking etc - and flat! They usually make more of an impression.

I have done this with an eighty year-old relative.

Don't forget Langemark!!!