Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

officers commissions

jonathon

My father 2nd Lt D.W.Lane was granted a commission from an army unit, his record of service shows him posted to Reading on 16/4/1917, on 16/6/1917 he was posted to No 7 Training squadron..He was 18 at the time,now for him to join the RFC he had to be in an army unit to get the transfer.His service record shows no army unit how can I find which army unit????

Jonathon,

You can view records WO339 and WO374 at the PRO which is the officer's record of service.

Or you could try AIR 76 which is the RFC/RAF record of service.

Steve

Jonathon

Did he go overseas? I can't see any DW Lanes in the RFC or RAF, or any Second Lieutenant DW Lanes in any unit (in the online MIC's)

Mick

yes he was attached to 32 squadron after training

• 2 weeks later...
Guest greenfield

Jonathon, It could be that he was commissioned onto the General List, and as such, had no parent Army Unit. According to the London Gazette Lt D.W. Lane was transferred to the unemployed list of the RAF with effect from 1 Apr 19. If you could provide your father's full name it would aid checking in the Gazette easier.

Regards, Terry

Jonathon, It could be that he was commissioned onto the General List, and as such, had no parent Army Unit.  According to the London Gazette Lt D.W. Lane was transferred to the unemployed list of the RAF with effect from 1 Apr 19.  If you could provide your father's full name it would aid checking in the Gazette easier.

Regards, Terry

Fathers full name douglas wakeford lane,thanks for help regards Jonathon