Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Airmen Statues on Memorials

Tom Morgan

I was struck by the figure of the airman on the Milford Haven memorial, brought to our attention by Grandson Michael. Not wanting to hijack his topic, I'm asking my question here.

There are quite a few memorials which feature statues of a soldier and a sailor, these two representing the armed forces. Perhaps at the time, the idea of a separate air force wasn't firmly planted in people's minds, as it would be during the Second World War.

Are there any other Memorials which have statues of airmen included?

Tom

Thanks for the details, Myrtle, and extra thanks if you went out specially to get the photo.

Tom

Tom

No problem. I already had the photos on file. It would have been a little too far to pop out to from London. I've added another couple of photos of the same memorial.

post-38-1125685194.jpg

post-38-1125685265.jpg

I do not have a picture but I recall that the war memorial at East Brent, Somerset is supported by four uniformed figures representing the army, navy, air force and mercantile marine. Perhaps someone on this Forum has a photograph as it is well worth seeing.

Burnley's "real" war memorial (in Towneley Park) is a statue of an airman, soldier and sailor. I'll post a photo later.

Dave.

The memorial at Sevenoaks is topped by the figure of an infantryman but bronze plaques on either side of the plinth recall the navy and the airforce.

post-857-1125744026.jpg

Clive

Your plaque reminded me of the one on the side of the War Memorial in Borough High Street SE1. Although it does not include figures it represents the airforce during WW1.

post-38-1125746104.jpg

It looks like the designs of the Royal Aircraft Factory at Farnborough were popular with the designers of memorial plaques: an RE 8 at Sevenoaks and an SE 5a at Borough High Street.

Gareth

Burnley's "real" war memorial (in Towneley Park) is a statue of an airman, soldier and sailor. I'll post a photo later.

Here it is...

(It used to also have a "reflecting pool" (now flower beds) in front of it.)

Dave.

post-357-1125773516.jpg

I was struck by the figure of the airman on the Milford Haven memorial, brought to our attention by Grandson Michael.  Not wanting to hijack his topic, I'm asking my question here.

There are quite a few memorials which feature statues of a soldier and a sailor, these two representing the armed forces.  Perhaps at the time, the idea of a separate air force wasn't firmly planted in people's minds, as it would be during the Second World War.

Are there any other Memorials which have statues of airmen included?

Tom

There is a lovely one in honor of dead airmen found in Brussels, Belgium. I will have to see if I can get a picture to post. Doc2