Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

From Bapaume to Passchendaele

AthollHighlander

Has this book been reviewed on forum before?

I was considering buying a copy as I'm attempting to research the events of the 21st March 1918 on the Bapaume - Cambrai Road, trying to pinpoint where my ancestor may have been with the 6Btn Gordons on that night.

Does anyone know whether there is much in the way first hand accounts with regard to the German Spring offensive? As the book first went to print in 1918 I was hopeful it may be of some benefit to read it.

Thanks

Atholl

Atholl,

The book is in diary form using copy Gibbs sent from the front line to UK papers. It only covers 1917 there is nothing on 21/03/1918 but the Gordons are mentioned on the cover along with 70 or so other regiments. I have not read the whole book only a few dates but it is discriptive and if you take away the "journalistic bint" informative. If I can help with any dates let me know.

Regards Charles

Atholl,

I don't know if this is much help but anyway

This is from the short History of the 8th Royal Scots(Pioneers to the Highland Division).

Enemy Attack,March 1918

"From the 21st to 26th March,the Battalion was in the thick of the fight.They first came into contact with the enemy on the Morchies-Beametz line,and repelled enemy attacks there.On the afternoon of the 22nd,the enemy made a heavy attack from Morchies,------".

My Uncle was killed on the 22nd and is also commemorated on the Arras Memorial.I don't know if you've visited the Area but there is a roadside Cemetery(can't remember its name) near the Villages,roughly half-way between Bapaume and Cambrai.

I visited it once and just hope my Uncle is lying there as I found the Arras Memorial a bit impersonal.

George

Thanks guys

I appreciate you taking the time to input.

I'm unaware of the Company that WPM served in yet that might pinpoint where he actually was on the night of the bombardment but I guess if I can look up his Medal card at some point that would tell me. Unfortunately being in the Highlands its going to have to be a concerted effort to get down. I'm loathe to stick a request in on forum as I'm acutely aware of time being precious for all the researchers who go. but maybe I will in the future.

George I haven't been over yet but its my 40th later this year and I'm dropping hints big time. Thanks for the info on the cemetery on the Bapaume - Cambrai Road. The memorial in Elgin actually shows the date of death for WPM as presumed to have died on the 22nd also so theres obviously a bit of uncertainty which you would expect when they are missing presumed dead. This may also indicate he didn't die during the initial onslaught on the morning of the 21st so a clue there maybe. The Gordons Seaforths, Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders and Black Watch amongst others I know put up brave resistance often in isolated positions so its likely impossible to be sure but I'd like to try and finish at least part of the jigsaw.

Thanks again.

Atholl

Atholl,

I'm not certain the MIC would record the Company,although I am sure someone will confirm.

My Uncle was in the Machine Gun Section.This I already knew but was confirmed from the Newspaper Entry announcing his death.Have you checked WPM's Death notification?

George

Has this book been reviewed on forum before?

I was considering buying a copy as I'm attempting to research the events of the 21st March 1918 on the Bapaume - Cambrai Road, trying to pinpoint where my ancestor may have been with the 6Btn Gordons on that night.

Does anyone know whether there is much in the way first hand accounts with regard to the German Spring offensive? As the book first went to print in 1918 I was hopeful it may be of some benefit to read it.

Thanks

Atholl

Atholl,

Have you read the Divisional History account of the German Offensive?

Aye

Malcolm

Atholl,

Have you read the Divisional History account of the German Offensive?

Aye

Malcolm

I haven't but I believe the local Library has or had a copy - Vol 2 ? Also as George suggested I haven't got a copy of his Newspaper entry regarding his death yet so a visit to the Library I think.

Thanks

Atholl