Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

BGC

gporta

I was recently perusing through a Brigade War diary in Kew, and in one entry, which was of interest to me, the abbreviation "BGC" appeared... I don't know what this might mean: Brigade General Commander? But then in context it doesn't seem to me that it is ralated to designate an individual... Anyone knows?

Thanks in advance,

Gloria

I feel i should know this but can not place it, could you put it in the sentnence seen and it may spring to mind.

regards

Arm

Hi Arm,

The brigade diary's entry for december 31st 1918 states: "BGC attended Pantomine in Lille"

The pantomine is, most probably, "Aladdin" which Leslie Henson, who was using the Lille theatre at the time, had certainly represented in december 25th 1918. I have a mention of one private soldier from one of the battalions of that brigade who saw Henson Play Aladdin "one month or so after the war was over". Since his battalion was not in Lille, my guess is that the boy saw it either convalescing from wounds, or maybe he went along with the BGC (whoever, or whatever, the BGC might be).

Gloria

Still not coming but i will think on it.

As you say Brigadier General Commanding comes to mind but does not seem to ring the bell i am after. That said it may just be similar to something else!

regards

Arm

How about Brigade Commander, as BG is sometimes the abreviation for a Brigade. I think Brigadier General Commanding is worth looking into a bit more but it is clumsy in the way it comes across.

Cheers,

Rob

Sorry for the delay... I was trying to locate the copy to give a pictorial example.

BGC or BOC ???

Hi Roop, as you can see in the attached images, it is clearly "BGC". One of the images is the quote I have already mentioned. the other is for two entries which also mentions the BGC

Gloria

post-6853-1125867819.jpg

post-6853-1125868339.jpg

Could C be the initial of the brigadier general`s surname? Phil B

In the context, i'd say no. Though it seems to me that the abbreviation seems to be referring to an individual, and I suppose that in this his staff should be supposed to go with him...otherwise I find a bitt odd that the diary had an entry just to say a general went to see a show (what would come next: "The BGC went to Maxim's to have dinner and there was turkey in the first course"?) :unsure:

Gloria

Based on that writing and the way it is said I would plump for Brigadier General Commanding. It seems the most logical title with the writing above. The comments obviously refer to someone of importance, and my first feeling it was a staff appointment like BGGS (Brigadier general General Staff) and this may have been what i was thinking of!

BGC.. Brigadier general Commanding is my guess

regards

Arm

As a matter of interest, do you know the surname of the BG? Should be accessible, since the 9 Sussex & 13 Middlesex appeared to be in his brigade at the time? 73 brigade. It was Brig Jelf during the Somme, which scuppers my suggestion! Phil B

'Brigadier General Commanding' is correct, in the same way that G.O.C. stands for 'General Officer Commanding' [a division].

It probably is "BG Commanding", but I had thought that the the C was put on the end when the officer in question could be of differing ranks. For example, a company has an OC because he could be a major, captain etc. You don`t see a division commanded by a MGC, or a corps by a LGC, they`re always GOCs, presumably because they might be of ranks other than Maj Gen & Lt Gen respectively. Ever seen a battalion commanded by a LCC? Just a thought! :unsure: Phil B

As a matter of interest, do you know the surname of the BG? Should be accessible, since the 9 Sussex & 13 Middlesex appeared to be in his brigade at the time? 73 brigade. It was Brig Jelf during the Somme, which scuppers my suggestion! Phil B

Phil,

Yes, it's the diary of the 73rd Brigade. I've been looking again carefully at the copies I have and there is no mention of the name of the Brigade Commander. The orders I have are signed by a Captain (A/Brigade Major).

After examining another Brigade's War Diaries, I found that one typescripted memo was issued by the "Brigadier General, Commanding xxx Brigade", so this, as already mentioned by the gentlemen in this thread, seems to be definitely the meaning of BGC

Thank you all again for your help,

Gloria

In 'Bloody Red Tabs' Davies and Maddocks the authors supply a table at the back of the book of abbreveations and guess whats there.

Yep! Brigadier General Commanding..BGC.

regards

Arm

Nice work.  One more to go in the Forum's list of abbreviations.

I wonder what the PBI thought about the BGC

<_<

Gloria

It would depend on who the BGC was I would think

regards

Arm