Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

History of Lincolnshire Regiment 1914-18

tamos123

Hi All

Would any Pal recommend the C R Simpson book as a good detailed source for 1st Btn activity in 1914.....before I decide to invest £24 odd in buying it

Any other resource anyone could recommend?

many thanks

T

Well worth £24 imho, not only for the 1st Lincs in 1914 but for the Regt as a whole throughout the war.

The Regimental Archive also holds a full list of 1st Lincs men who went overseas prior to Nov 1914, and dates of their arrival in France; i presume it was compiled for the purpose of medal entitlements???

Chris

Absolutely! I find this an excellent resource for the regiment, having discovered it at The National Army Museum (and later at the Imperial War Museum) while research the day-to-day events of the Lincolnshires during the war. Wish I had my own copy. :(

The book is available in PDF format on CD-ROM from Archive CD Books ( www.archivecdbooks.org ) for about £14.

Dave.

Simpson is definately the book to have for the 1st Batt and regiment - have seen the reprint going for less than £24 regularly on e-bay. Having said that £24 isn't a bad price for the excellent content. The first 74 pages (out of a total of 400 excluding role of honour) deal solely with the 1st Batt in 1914.

The Regimental diaries originals have been moved down t the Royal Anglian Depot in Norfolk hope this helps they were at Sobraon barracks then the lincs life museum but have been lifted.