Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Three unknown abbreviations

Chris_Baker

Can anyone help me identify these three abbreviations

EBD, a base depot in France, but what is the E (and where was it?)

EFC, apparently at Le Havre. Presumably Expeditionary Force Canteen, especially given this one...

NACB, which is Canteen Branch of the ASC, but what is NA?

Thanks

Chris

EFC - Expeditionary Force Canteen

NACB - National Army Catering Board

EBD - I'm not sure. Could be Engineer Base Depot (proper title was RE Base Depot) or Employment Base Depot (although usually just Employment Depot) or perhaps E Infantry Base Depot (the IDBs were lettered rather than numbered from the end of 1917).

Charles M

Chris,

EBD

?

EFC

Expeditionary Force Canteens

The vast supply organisation providing canteens, messes, clubs, rest camps etc., on all fronts from Flanders to Mesopotamia, from early in 1915 onwards. It had its own bakeries, laundries, butcheries, breweries, mineral water factories, depots, etc., everywhere. The treasury financed it to the extent of upwards of three-quarters of a million sterling. Everything, practically from binoculars to bootlaces could be obtained at the cheapest possible prices. The E. F. C. formed the Central Supply Depot for the canteens of units throughout the war areas.

I believe that there is a very interesting unit hitory for the E. F. C.

NACB

Navy and Army Canteen Board

Just a brief addition to the EFC:

The EFC started life in 1894 when 3 Officers, dissatisfied with the food supply for soldiers, formed the Canteen & Mess Co-operative Society (CMCS). In 1915 the CMCS, along a reputable trader, formed the EFC. In 1917 it became the Army Canteen Committee. In 1918 the RN joined and the name changed to the Navy & Army Canteen Board. At the end of the war the RAF (which was formed from the Royal Flying Corps, part of the Army, and the Royal Naval Fleet Air Arm in 1918) joined. In January 1921, after a review by Churchill the name was changed to the Navy, Army and Air Force Institute, the NAAFI.

I should have said that here is an excellent site at http://www.1914-1918.net/ which includes an abbreviations page which explains EFC and NACB. Perhaps you know it???

Never heard of it. Must try it. :unsure:

can I add one.. please

O.C.

what possibles apart from Officer commanding? or derivatives...

John