Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

This will make you cry!

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Guest Ian Bowbrick

I thought I would share this with the Pals!

When at the PRO today the lady sitting next to me, who was having trouble finding a relation, was told by a member of staff that 'The Army Service Corps became part of the Royal Engineers at the end of WW1' :o

Words fail me!

Ian :ph34r:

Guest Hill 60

I don't see why you are suprised Ian, I thought this was common knowledge!

It happened again in the 1950's when the Army Catering Corps amalgamated with the SAS :lol:

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Lee,

Very appropriate as the ACC and the SAS must be nearly neck & neck for the number of soldiers killed, unfortunately in the case of the ACC it was our own boys :lol:

Ian

Guest stevebec

Thats funny.

I have a Camel Corps soldier by the name of Herbert Boys who because of medical down grading was a cook at the 14 AGH.

He was reported WIA 23rd June 1917.

It appears he had an accident and hit his head or some one who didn't like his cooking hit him.

S.B

Apparently the ACC and the SAS are very similar in their training regime. We all know how gruelling the SAS course is with only a few making it through to the end, but do you know that no-one in the ACC has passed a catering course!!!

Guest Ian Bowbrick

I have it on good authority that those who fail the cookery course are immediately sent to the Military Police :lol:

Ian

Ian,

Too true, being an RMP still serving in HM Forces I would totally agree......I can't cook to save my life! :lol:

Iain

P.S. ( Due to the lack in catering skills I am open to invites from other Pals for Sunday lunch!!!! :rolleyes: ...)

Iain

Iain (Mchenry),

As i remember, if someone failed the cookery course they were immediatly despatched to a unit as a Chef!!!

At least that's how it seemed to us at 158,

Ski.

Navy cooks (I won't say chefs) were judged on their ability to crack an egg in each hand whilst making an omelette. It takes an extraordinarily amount of skill to accomplish !

Michael

Hi Ski,

Thats why I love this Forum (Not for its cookery content :D ), but meeting people you used to serve with. Small world mate. See you in a few weeks.

Iain

Guest Hill 60
I have it on good authority that those who fail the cookery course are immediately sent to the Military Police :lol:

Ian

During my training (8508 Squad) at Chichester we had a guy leave the RMP to join the ACC ;), I think he believed he had a better chance of killing people with them than with us!

Lee,

I remember my first platoon commander (No names), in June 1990 telling me about a horrible time he had in Uganda on the Close Protection team. During a Coup d'etat ( of which there were many!!), he was the only guy left at the embassy whilst the rest of the team were in another part of the country on a visit. He told me how, at night, a group of armed local rebels tried to climb the embassy walls and started shooting at the embassy building. Being the only CP operative left at the embassy he took everyone upstairs to the secure area, locked them in, and started to engage the bad guys on the lawn and as they climbed over the wall (as he shouted for assistance on the radio!!!). He was decorated for this action, with what I cannot remember. What will stick with me till my dying day is, as a young lance jack asking him how he saw the rebels coming over the wall. His reply : " I shot when they smiled, you saw the whites of their teeth!!!!"

By Example We Lead

Iain