Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Arnold Toynbee´s

Guest Eduardo

Some time ago I got this book in Spanish from a street vendor. Some of the details fit exactly with what my grandmother used to tell me about the Germans in Liege. The Introduction by Ramiro De Maeztu is very political and extremely interesting. To fill in the bibliographical note I would like to know about the original English edition. There is no reference to it If anybody wants a photocopy let me know.

Eduardo

Since I cannot fit in the front page as attacment I copy it completely:

EL TERRORISMO ALEMAN EN BELGICA

Narración basada en los documentos

Por

Arnold J. Toynbee

Antiguo colegial de Balliot College (Oxford)

Con una introducción

por

Ramiro de Maextu

Londres

Hayman, Christy & Lilly, Ltd.

To fill in the bibliographical note I would like to know about the original English edition.

Here're the front covers of the English version along with it's sister volume...

dave.

post-357-1125560776.jpg

Eduardo

A note of caution about Toynbee's WW1 work. Although a noted historian, he worked for the War Propaganda Bureau, otherwise known as "Wellington House", after the building in which the bureau was located. His WW1 publications should be read with this in mind.

Terry Reeves

Thank you Terry. I had noticed the propaganda tone in the writings and even more in the introduction. What amazed me of that book was the coincidence with the view my gandmother got from her mother in law and sisters in law in Liege in 1919. A big thanks also to Paul, I will look for that book in Amazon.

Eduardo