Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HT Arcardian

chrisharley9

HT "Arcadian" was torpedoed and sunk on 15 April 1917, 41.5 kilometres north east from the island of Milo (Melos), carrying reinforcements for Egypt.

The above is all I've got on this ship can anyone add some meat to the bones please.

All The Best

Chris

Chris,

Arcadian was a 8,939 grt steamer launched in 1899 and owned by the Royal Mail Steam Packet Company, the same company that owned the Aragon. Former ship name: Ortona. The U-boat that torpedoed and sank her 26 miles NE of Melos was UC 74 under the command of kplt. Wilhelm Marschall, who would go on to win the Pour le Merite.

Best wishes,

Michael

According to Tennent & BVLAS there were 35 casualties (all crew?) in the incident.

That would be ship's crew only. Military passengers would not be included in those numbers. Bendert gives the total loss of life at 277. he also notes that Arcadian sank within six minutes of being torpedoed.

Best wishes,

Michael

Thanks to you both for the swift answers - may be a few more that I will need to pick your brains over if you dont mind as I'm researching one of the Ipswich War Memorials

All The Best

Chris

Chris,

Fire away. In the grand scheme of things, most of these cases are pretty straight forward...

Best wishes,

Michael

Michael

Will do them as new topics

All The Best

Chris