Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ID Aeroplane ?

PFF

On website "Different Worlds Pictures of the PASt-WW I" is a collection on online

English and German photographs.

Under German Photographs -page 5 is a excelent print of a Pilot and observer

standing beside wingless aeroplane with "Maltesee" like crosses.

The Number on plane is "C4075"

If anyone can ID photo-prehaps they can contact websmaster of this website.

Webmaster email is <dms@zet.net.co.uk>

URL http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/dms/past/ww1index.html

On website "Different Worlds Pictures of the PASt-WW I" is a collection on online

English and German photographs.

Under German Photographs -page 5 is a excelent print of a Pilot and observer

standing beside wingless aeroplane with "Maltesee" like crosses.

The Number on plane is "C4075"

If anyone can ID photo-prehaps they can contact websmaster of this website.

Webmaster email is <dms@zet.net.co.uk>

URL http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/dms/past/ww1index.html

Well, the first thing which jumps out at me is the lack of wings (as you note). This means it was either being assembled/disassembled, or could have been used for the initial stages of flight training. Given the lack of any apparent wing attachment points,and no other pieces in the picture, I would guess at the flight training scenario. The tail is pretty distinctive, and I would guess it was some version of the A.E.G., possibly a C.IV or C.II. Hope that helps. Doc2

I think the aeroplane is an Albatros C.III (see the drawing below which shows the inverted V centre section struts and the radiator mounting) with a Benz B.III engine that has force-landed somewhere and has been partly disassembled, perhaps for towing. It looks like the port wings are on the ground on the other side of the fuselage to two soldiers (officers or NCOs?) who are being photographed. The armed soldier on the left may be there to guard the aeroplane until it has been recovered.

The photograph below the German machine is interesting. It looks like it was a French two seater aeroplane, as the kepis of the crew are on the ground in the foreground.

Gareth

post-45-1125556660.jpg

Hello,

I also think it is an Albatros C.III, especially when You look to the tail section.

Regards,

Cnock

Hello,

I also think it is an Albatros C.III, especially when You look to the tail section.

Regards,

Cnock

Yeah, I think I stand corrected. I missed the wing in the background. I'll agree with the CIII identification also. Thanks for correcting me. Doc2