Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Royal Scots Fusiliers

ErnieNoakes

I am researching this period of 1st Ypres. If anyone has info on the actions of the 2nd Bn. during this period I would be grateful.

Regards,

Ernie

Hi Ernie

From Ray Westlake's British Battalions in France and Belgium 1914.

2nd Royal Scots Fusiliers, 26th Oct -8th Nov 1914.

24th -25th Oct. - Battalion took up new positions in line at Polygon Wood.

26th Oct. - A & D Coy's moved forward to reinforce 20th Brigade around Gheluvelt. Returning the same night. Relieved by the 1st South Wales Borderers and moved back to bivouacs South of Veldhoek.

27th Oct. - Moved to Sanctuary Wood. Advanced during the evening via Gheluvelt and relieved the 2nd Gordon Highlanders in trenches near Zanvoorde along the Kriseecke Ridge. (Major Forbes recalls that the line occupied was too long for the number of men available) Battalion strength at this time was about 500 after going into action on the 15th October with a strength of more than 1,000 men.

29th Oct. - B Coy's line attacked throughout the day. Lt. Mackenzie killed.

30th oct. - Ordered to retire. Fell back to positions along the Gheluvelt - Zandvoorde road. Here the Battalion came under fire from a field gun placed about 900 yards away in Zandvoorde.

31st Oct. - From the War Diary - Enemy broke through, surrounded then overwhelmed the Battalion's trenches. Lt stewart recalls that the enemy began shelling at 5 am, the infantry coming on about 4 hours later. No reinforcements could come forward, the ground to the rear being heavily bombarded - "No man could have lived on any square yard of the ridge behind us". War Diary notes that C. O., 2nd in command, the Adjutant and 3 other officers were killed or captured. Casualties estimated at approximately 400 men.

1st Nov. - War Diary gives position as 1/4 mile South East of Gheluvelt. Drafts arrive under 2 Officers.

3rd Nov. - Strength 4 Officers, 183 other ranks.

4th Nov. - Relieved the 2nd Yorkshire Regiment in forward trenches South East of Gheluvelt. line held under attack and bombardment.

6th Nov. - Relieved by the 1st Bedfordshire. Moved to Locre. Later in the afternoon moved to Bailleul.

8th Nov. - Moved into trenches at Ploegsteert Wood.

9th Nov. - Moved to support line.

10th Nov. - Moved to reserve line.

11th Nov. - In support of 1st Somerset light infantry at St. Yves, during the afternoon. returned to Ploegsteert Wood.

12th Nov. - To Bailleul.

16th Nov. - To Sailly.

Hope this helps

regards

James

Ernie I have John Buchan's History of the Royal Scots Fusiliers.

I will look up the dates for the 2nd RSF and will post the info over the next few days.

James

There is a brief account of the 2 RSF's action at Gheluvert in October 1914 on the Royal Highland Fusilier's website.

They went through a rough time and by the end of 30 October 1914 the Battalion had almost been wiped out.

Thanks Ceebee,

Good website.

Regards,

Ernie

Ernie I have John Buchan's History of the Royal Scots Fusiliers.

I will look up the dates for the 2nd RSF and will post the info over the next few days.

James

Thanks for the info James look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Ernie

Ernie

Tried to PM you. I will send you the appropriate pages for those dates by email. There are about 6 or 7 pages. I will scan them and send them to you if you PM me and send me your email address.

regards

James