Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

one of the last French vets.

uncle bill

Last year I had the immense priviledge to meet one of France's last Great War veterans. Today he has aquired a celebrity status, along with his wife

Marguerite 101 years old, for being possibly the world's oldest couple. They married 12 august 1924.

André Debry was born june 15th 1898 at Rosières en Santerre, Somme. His first recollection of the war was when a shell hit a building near his school in Amiens in August 1914. In April 1917 he received,what were for him, the dreaded call up papers. His father, a schoolteacher, was serving in the infantry and thanks to this André Debry was allowed to choose where he would serve. On his own admission he chose the artillery as he thought this was the safest option. He rapidly became ill from Typhoid and sat out the rest of 1917, recovering before being released into an agricultural unit.

By the time of the March offensives he was serving as an aspirant ( officer cadet ) on a battery of 155 court, his battery was based in the Montdidier region and due to his inexperience he was used as an observer. It was in this capacity that he was awarded the Croix de Guerre with citation for remaining at his post during a gas attack, he had to take off his mask in order to use the phone and was affected by the gas. From the 8th august the war became one of relentless pursuit and his abiding memory of this time is one of constant fatigue. He remembers seeing the arrival of the first german negotiators in the Forest of Compiègne.

He finished his service as a commander of a POW camp of 400 prisoners.

After the war he moved back to his home on the Somme and like so many had to start from scratch. It was at this point that he met his future wife. Her father had moved up from the Limousin to help in the reconstruction. When asked how he felt about the devastation caused to his home county he just shrugged and said that it didn't particularly affect him.

Later in life he moved to his wife's town of Argenton sur Creuse and became a teacher. War came again and he was called up in 1939. By the time of the débacle he was ill again ( amazing he's lived to such a ripe old age). On june 17 1940 his father was on his way to see him in hospital and was killed by an attacking plane on the route nationale 20.

post-831-1125414435.jpg

post-831-1125414469.jpg

Remarkable old boy! He looks very fit for his age. Hard to believe they called him up again right at the beginning when he was already 40. Thanks!

Marina

They are a truly remarkable couple. They still live together in their big town house and have only in recent years accepted home help as Monsieur Debré has almost lost his sight.

What a wonderfull story, my great aunt is 93 she still goes off on her own very day to do her shopping etc I just love sitting down and listening to her stories.

The happy couple ! 107 and 101 years old ! very humbling.

post-831-1125476382.jpg

Thanks for this amazing tale.

Steve

Helas

He has died today.

I am very sorry to annonce this sad news to forum members.

The main french TV program annonce that at the news tonight.

Three weeks ago he celebrated his 80 wedding birthday .

Rk: There is nothing correspinding to this.

I mean : Gold for 50 years, prlatinium for 60

but for 80 ?

I think he was the oldest frenchman.

I pay my respect for him, particulary tonight.

Have a thought for him.

:(

How sad that is. And poor Marguerite - what will she do without him after such a long marriage?

I'm pleased Billy posted about him before he died. I don't really know why I feel that - a bit silly I suppose. But it was warming to think of the old couple still together, and nice to think of them celebrating their 80th anniversary. Bless them both.

Marina

I missed this news. I am very saddened. My condoleances go to his wife and family.

The happy couple ! 107 and 101 years old ! very humbling.

I think the quote in Marina's signature is very apt for the picture of Andre and his wife, especially with the recent news of his passing.

'Life, to be sure,

Is nothing much to lose,

But young men think it is,

And we were young.'

I just found out that André's mother was killed in Normandy during an allied bombardment. The shadow of war just never leaves some people alone I suppose.