Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Veterans passing on - WW1 as well?

kerry

I posted this under Last WW1 veteran on another thread... perhaps if Pals read the link they may want to think about this below...

Ian

A thought... when you asked your elderly great aunts, did you record the session?

Prempting any replies to your thread... whilst I am not in contact with any WW1 veteran, male or female, I am acutely aware of oral history and the fact that soon it may be lost forever.

Could we not collate even here by email/thread how many people could be recorded for posterity, from any walk of life and from that age, and set up a method of recording them and making them available as in a sound library. I am conscious of some WW1 vets having been recorded continually to appear on TV and recently in the case of Pte Nugent on the radio. But there must be others out there in Canada, Australia, Germany, Austria, India, France, Belgium the list goes on...

Having been fortunate to record my dad before he died about his childhood in WW1, and in 1987 one of the last survivors of the Titanic (on the 75th anniversary), the record is there from people who are there and I feel that we as a Forum, should try to put such a project together.

If you feel that this might be a way forward then can we make a list of people who might be part of the recording process. Men or women who have memories... French/Belgian civilians on being occupied it doesnt matter...

Its all part of the jig saw that made up the war...

John

For any one wishing to read about the War through the eyes of those that fought it then I would reccommend that you read the book FORGOTTEN VOICES by Max Arthur it is a collection of interviews with veterans compiled in association with the Imperial War Museum with a few photographs of those interviewed.

A very worthwhile enterprise though and if you think I can help in any way please ask.

John