Remembered Today:

London Gazette

admssrchr11

How long is a piece of string?

Early in the war (1914-1916)

DSOs, VCs etc. - 1 month.

MCs, DCMs - 2 months.

MMs - 3 months.

In 1917 the MCs and DCMs delay seemed to grow, probably due to the adding of citations. - approx 3-4 months, lengthening as 1917 went on.

MMs still about 3 months.

In 1918 everything went to pot. The more mobile war probably had a lot to do with it.

MMs - 4 months in early 1918 to 6-9 months by 1919.

MCs, DCMs - 5 to 12 months, lengthening as 1918 went on. Some MC/DCM citations appeared as late as 1920.

William Soutar's DCM was 1916 so probably 2 months.

Hope this helps,

Steve.

Thanks Steve I'm just trying to get a idea of when the award ceremony was.

Jim

If it was an award ceremony in the field, the Unit Diary MAY include it; many Battalions of the Bedfords did ....

The date of the award ceremony bears no relation to the gazette entry and, in most cases, the award preceded the entry by some margins. For immediate bravery awards, a recommendation was made shortly after the relevant action and, if sanctioned, the award would follow within a matter of weeks thereafter, depending on operational requirements. So, thinking of examples in my own collection, a 1916 DCM was awarded in early November for an action in late September and which was gazetted in late November; a 1918 MC was awarded in early September for an action in early August and gazetted in mid November; a 1918 MM was awarded in November for an action in June and gazetted in October 1919. A posthumous MM was awarded in August 1917 for an action in May in which the recipient earned his medal and was killed -gazetted in July. Make of that what you will !

Bear in mind also the annual New Year and Birthday awards, although these would normally reflect service over a period. As with current awards, it is likely that the recipient knew that the award was being made before the entry, but the award would be made sometime after. Again, I can cite the example of a New Year 1919 MC where the award ceremony took place at Buckingham Palace in February 1919.

Regards

David

Hello

I have seen a MM awarded to the Coldstream Guards (J Marks) around October 1916 - the man was discharged due to wounds around late 1915 - work that one out!

Ian

Ian,

Simple. The MM was not instituted until 1916! However many COs recommended men for retrospective acts.

Regards

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

I did know it wasnt introduced until later :P but didnt know they back dated awards. I seem to recall the catalogue said it was awarded for the Somme. Obviosly not the 1916 Somme.. :lol:

Ian