Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The War at Sea 1914-1918

spike10764

ISBN 0 283 07354 3

The story of the War at Sea. in the words of those who fought it. Julian Thompson uses testimonies from the archives of the Imperial War Museum , mixed with background history of the war at sea, to tell the story of what it was like to serve in the Royal Navy during the Great War. It covers the major naval actions of the 1914-18 war, with background including maps and diagrams of the major engagements.

This book opened my eyes to the trials and tribulations of a service, I must admit, I did not know much about prior to this. If the Navy were not fighting every week, they did ensure the blockade of Germany, which played a big part in Britains ability to pursue the war to a successful conclusion.

Without them Britain could not have continued long, so it is unsurprising that the Naval Command did not want to take any risks which could undermine British Naval Supremacy. This brought condemnation from the public at large, especially those who had lost loved ones in the land war and expected "another Trafalgar".

This could not be, but the dangers faced by the men were still many- dangerous weather conditions (which often can be deadly at sea), the U-Boat threat, the chance of sinking and drowning below decks, or being blown to pieces in an engagement, not to mention those who served on submarines with their cramped, claustrophobic conditions and extra dangers.

The Royal Navy fought a different but equally hazardous and vitally important war and this book does much to bear this out.

I had, as I said, not read much about the Naval war prior to this. The best thing I can say about this book, as a recommendation, is that it has made me want to find out more.

You picked a good one to start with. The reality of the First World War at sea was simply not something that made good stories in the press, and the slaughter elsewhere dominated the public perception. Hence the resentment. The truth is that the naval action was near enough non-stop, especially in the Med, with steady losses and high stakes (troop transports) but no decisive "Trafalgar" confrontations for the press to celebrate except for the exceptional occasion of Jutland. The press lead, and then followed, public opinion.

Once you get a taste for information about the First World War at sea, it is easy to understand the importance of some of the decisions concerning the land battles: the influence of the Flanders U-boat pens on the shape of the Western Front comes to mind.

Try "Dardanelles Patrol" and "Q-Boat Adventures" for some real hair-raising episodes that offset the numbing routine of so many other vessels whose stories are just as important, if not as colourful.

Regards,

Bruce

Spike,

Does the author have anything to say about minor raids into the North Sea etc by German torpedo boats or destroyers?

Best wishes

David

Yes David,

Quite a bit, many of the testimonies quoted in the sections on the North Sea mention patrols against the minor raids by the German Destroyers and Torpedo Boats. Thompson's skill is to blend testimony with background in a way which keeps the interest in the topic and neither detracts from the other in any way.

Bruce,

Thanks for the ideas for further reading, I'll keep an eye out for the books you mention. I thought I'd give Castles of Steel a try next , as it had good reviews recently and I saw it in my local library the other day.