Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

tracking uncle jack KSLI RFA

docchippy

New to the forum having encounterd your info thanks to Charlotte at Varlet Farm ( top quality establishment).

This is just an enquiry to start tracking down my great uncles WW1 service record.

Dvr John Edward (Jack) Davies, 154631 (latterly 726097) RFA (ex shrop yeo/KSLI).

He died in 2000 aged 104 before I really got to ask detailed questions. He joined the Shropshire yeomanry Ludlow C troop enlisted 4/10/14. I have a postacrd sent from training in morpeth. He then appears to have been transferred to the 6th KSLI and I have a photo of him as a corporal in KSLI uniform. Then at some point was transferred to the RHA, where he served as a saddler in No. 2 section 30th Divisonal Ammunition column. The documents he left behind indicate he took part in the 30th divisional retreat from St Quentin.

I have the offical history which documents the march event, (incidentally 6KSLI crossing paths with 30th div in retreat). However the offical history mentions aspects of 30 div splitting off and retreating with French southwards from HAM. At Ham cemetery only RFA casualty for 30th DAC is lieutenant Cyril Dupe - can't find any more DAC casualites on line of retreat back towards Amiens.

Any info about / or how to confirm the KSLI connection and movements as part of that battn, morpeth and Shrops yeomanry plus these miscellaneous units of 30th division and lieutenat Dupe.

Neil

Just a thought - have you contact the Imperial War Musuem sound archive to see if they interviewed him at some point? They have been very active in the past 15/20 years in tracing and interviewing vets, often unbeknown to other relatives.

Hi Neil

I do not like plugging my own book on the forum but its about the 6th K.S.L.I., so seem appropriate, you sould be able to get a copy from the Library service.

The Batt. received a draft from the Shropshire Yeomanry on 1st October 1916. I will look and see if I have any info. on Jack.

I see Jack was in Ludlow C troop, for all my sins I live in Ludlow.

Regards

Annette