Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Thieves strike at Ulster Tower

Cotswold

A minibus parked outside the Ulster Tower was broken into this afternoon. Goods were taken, including passports I have been told. People have been asked to be on the lookout for a white Peugeot 205 that was acting suspicously in the area.

Whilst I was at the Thiepval Visitor Centre a few weeks back a car was broken into and it was actually quite a busy day, lots of folks around.

This is a bit of a worry and visitors to the area have to be extra vigilant and careful not to display belongings on the car seat etc whilst leaving their vehicle unattended. I was told that this has been the first incident at the Ulster Tower for 2 years.

Be on your guard!

Regards Donna :)

This is a bit of a worry and visitors to the area have to be extra vigilant and careful not to display belongings on the car seat etc whilst leaving their vehicle unattended. I was told that this has been the first incident at the Ulster Tower for 2 years.

A sad occurrence and one which is reported from time to time on the forum. As you say common sense is never to leave anything on display wherever you may be - UK or France. I would never leave any official (and important documents) anywhere other than on your person.

Also take care in the supermarket car-parks in Albert; we suffered an attempted break-in last week and I know others were also affected. As we have a French registered car they were not targeting Brits, but I suspect anyone and everyone.

Even worse, someone was stabbed in the high street of Bapaume this weekend; in broad daylight and seemingly without motive. All those reasons you escape the UK for are sadly spilling over into rural France these days.

• 2 weeks later...

There are a couple of things

Were not flavour of the month in France and Belgium at the moment for a few political reasons so if you drink try to stick to established English haunts or known friendly ones if you can.

These countries are unfortunately beginning to go thru small changes

I have noticed there are small packs of ratboys who hang about the stations in baseball caps starting to appear liike in the UK

People in Belgium lock up their bikes now and remove igntiion keys they never used to if they are doin it so should you

IN Ieper last night there was a row about an attempted theft unheard of years ago

THe answer is ALWAYS keep your Passport on you and your cash lock up your car doors Arras and Lille has been dodgy for years-if you feel unsure leave one of your party with your car hope this helps Seanio

Thanks for the heads up Pals.

We are off on the 7th October, Verdun 4 days , the Somme 4 days and Ieper 3 days. Will make sure to be on the alert. It is so sad that these things are happening but it is everywhere. Even the town I live in the west of ireland, Ennis in county clare, had two cars burnt out last weekend and there is numerous other incidents after chucking out time.

Thanks again for the heads up.

Ross

Is nowhere safe nowadays? In the 1960s I lived in Sidmouth, which was/is almost as genteel as Budleigh Salterton, but there's been a murder and a stabbing there this summer.

And in Brockenhurst in the New Forest my 85-year-old father, recovering from a hip op, turned his back on his car in the village car-park only for two youths to snatch the residents' parking permit from the dashboard. I don't think the permit costs much at present (though Dad had to pay £6 for a replacement) but I gather that next year one will cost £85 (unless dad has got it confused), which will make it quite a desirable item, along with tax discs (easily stolen from motor-bikes and scooters) and disabled parking permits.

No probs glad to help :D

even Jaque at hill 62 Museum got robbed by locals not long since

Further note the nice chaps in Ypres tend to drink out of town at the weekend these days as its safer they tend to heqd to Ostend where the nite life is they say second to none

if a drinkerie sounds loud in this area Ieper then fights tend to break out at the weekend the cops are pretty much on their toes out here. Dont let it put you off becquse its still tremendous place to visit

I've always found Ypres a most unthreatening place to wander around at night - but we were recently told that it has a house of ill-repute - so it obviously has its dodgy side. As regards Bapaume, we struggled to find anything open at all after 6pm. Difficult to believe a stabbing could happen there - crime de passion maybe.

Ian,

Just because Ypres has a Brothel doesnt make it dodgy! Ypres unlike many other European towns of its size does not have a red-light "district". It does have two brothels. One next to the Novotel called the "Engel" (It doesnt do discounts for Novotel residents! :lol:). The other is at the end of Polenlaan near the canal terminus.

Over here the control of the "Sex trade" like, many other European mainland nations is very different compared to the UK. But please dont think just because we have a knocking shop means the mafia and all the other underworld gangs are making the place worse.

Before you ask, I have not visited any of the above named establishments. My fiance would kill me :lol:

Regards

Iain

28 cars torched in Arras and Lille on Monday night last week. According to today's papers, Sarkozy has ordered a crack-down.