Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Les galets

cockney tone

Pal's.

I am trying to take advantage of the cheap Eurotunnel fares and have a short overnighter down on the Somme next week. I want to try to stay at Les Galets because of its proximity to the area that I wish to walk. However I have tried ringing this weekend with 'no reply' on the phone which defaults to a fax machine, a facility I do not have. I also tried their e-mail which keeps bouncing back.

Does anybody know if they are open at the moment or are they just trying to avoid me????????????

Regards,

Scottie.

I have no idea why you aren't getting any response from Les Galets, but I would suggest trying Avril Williams at Auchonvillers. Only a few minutes walk away from Les Galets.

Good luck,

Ken

Ken,

I have already booked Avrils for my September trip and normally like to stay there, but I was hoping for les Galets so I could 'pick' Mr & Mrs Renshawa 'brains' on the area i am going to walk and recce. Hope you are well and not working too hard (I have now been retired since July!!!!)

Paul,

thanks for confirmation that they are open, I will try ringing again during the day.

regards to you both,

Scottie.

Still no reply all day sunday and am today (monday) am I ringing the correct number?

00333 22 762879

Scottie.

(now slightly panicky of Hertford)

When we visited the battlefields last May, We was told that Les Galet was no longer taking bookings.

Paul's reply seems to contradict this but if you are not getting a response it may have been correct??

Hope you get sorted

Cheers

Paul

Paul,

thank you for your info, I have even tried to fax them but that failed as well, i think they must of heard of my recent credit ratings?????????????

Regards,

Scottie.

Julie has been in England - she has just called me to confirm dates for accommodation - no doubt she will be in contact soom

In case anybody was wondering I am pleased to announce that I have now managed to make contact on the said telephone number and I have been able to book a room at Les Galets and I am looking forward to my short stay!!!!!!

Scottie,

Please pass on my family's warmest good wishes to Julie on your stay.

She will remember us for the sole fact that an Ulsterman threw a glass of red wine over my 2 year old daughter many moons ago. ( Arthur J.......take a bow :lol: )

Julie is a gem, enjoy your stay with her.

Derek,

I will pass on your regards for you.

If there are any Pals in the vicinity of Redan Ridge on friday afternoon or Saturday morning and you see a strange looking geezer in a Panama don't worry it will only be me looking for the site of the 16th Bat HLI in Frankfurt Trench, please don't be afraid to say hello.

Regards,

Scottie.

I would like to point out that I only spilt a little wine, and that was because of an accident. Derek was only annoyed that it went over Catherine, (his daughter) because as a true Scot he could not bear to see wine not being drunk.

:P

Arthur & Derek,

this thread is starting to have the makings of an old joke?

i.e.

There was an Ulsterman, Scotsman and an Englishman.

I will pass on your regards as well,

Scottie.

Back from Les Galets, had a great time and will definetly return to the place (if they will have me again.)

Arthur & Derek,

I passed on your regards to Julie, she remembers you both and the incident you mention and sends you both her best wishes,

Regards,

Scottie.

she remembers you both and the incident you mention and sends you both her best wishes,

Scottie,

If you knew Arthur, you'd know that Julie would never forget him. :D (and Catherine has never forgiven him :o )

I'm pleased that you had an enjoyable stay with Julie.