Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

National Roll of the Great War 1914-18

Christina

Does anyone have the National Roll of the Great War 1914-18 London - South West section. Can anyone tell me where this can be obtained. I have been on another site and someone has found a copy of the South East London section. However my rellies were in South West London. Can anyone do a look up?

Regards

Christina

I have a PDF copy of the London Roll of Honour.

It's from a cover disk on the current Family History Monthly.

Fire away!

(Remember that only those submitted by relatives are included)

Steve.

I have a PDF copy of the London Roll of Honour.

It's from a cover disk on the current Family History Monthly.

Fire away!

(Remember that only those submitted by relatives are included)

Steve.

Steve.

There's more than one London Roll of Honour volume. The freebie was just "Section 1".

"Section 3" and "Section 7" were also London volumes and are also available (along with Section 1) from Archive CD-Books. There was at least one other London volume (Section 13).

Dave.

Thanks, Dave. Wasn't aware of that.

Don't you sleep either?

The Section I have does cover some SW London men and women.

Christina, I'll lookup on what I do have if you want.

Steve.

Thanks Steve, I have emailed you with details. Hope your one is the same as the one I require as Roll of Honour sounds like those who died and the one I am referring to is actually a volume called National Roll of the Great War 1914-18 and lists those in service, their address and details etc.

Regards

Christina

The National Roll is for both men and women, and for those who survived as well as those who were killed. It is only a fairly small percentage of all those involved, however.

Steve.

Thanks Steve, I have emailed you with details. Hope your one is the same as the one I require as Roll of Honour sounds like those who died and the one I am referring to  is actually a volume called National Roll of the Great War 1914-18 and lists those in service, their address and details etc.

Regards

Christina

Christina.

If your person isn't in Section 1, let me know, and I'll look in the other London sections for you.

Dave.

(PS. either PM me or let me know on forum - I don't use my email address for GWF matters any longer)

He wasn't, Dave.

I'll let Christina contact you with details, though.

Steve.

I have all the volumes of the National Roll. Why don't you just give us the name(s) you wish us to check? Dick Flory

Thanks very much everyone. Here are the details:

The name I am looking for is either Harry James Tucker [born with that name] or Robert Tucker [known by this one, used it to marry in 1908 and on all children's birth certificates and registered death as this] I do not know which name he used for his army service.

The info I have is that he joined up after the commencement of the War, he was in service for approx 18 months, he was wounded in France and lost a leg. On his daughter's birth certificate in 1915 it states that he was a private in the Queens Royal Berkshire Regiment. I have checked with the regimental museum, the only Robert Tucker they have was a regular soldier prior to the war and was a soldier in 1908. My Robert/Harry married in 1908 and on the wedding certificate is listed as a labourer, my Mother says he was not a regular soldier, they have no listing for a Harry. I have had Chris Baker research for a Robert Tucker but as there are a few of them can't pin it down. I have downloaded MIC's for both Robert and Harry James Tucker there are a few possibles, none from the regiment I have stated. I have contacted Blesma, British Legion, Red Cross, Haig homes and more and met with no success.

Robert/Harry lived at 76 Larch Road, Balham, SW12 at the time of the war, his wife was Annie Tucker nee Warner. I have requested on other sites for a look up on the absent voter list for 1914-15 in the hope this will give his service number however had not had any replies.

Whoever solves this one deserves a medal, he is certainly elusive. So I offer thanks for anyone for any help whatsoever, I am in Australia which makes researching very hard.

Regards

Christina

No one by that (those) names in Section 1, 3 or 7.

Over to Dick for Section 13 ?...

Dave.

No one by either name in Section 13. Dick

• 5 months later...

Dave and Dick

I noticed you had some corrispondance regarding the London parts of the National Roll of Honour for London.

I am busy chasing my tail at the moment over three mates that inlisted together and were in the same unit the 20th London Regiment. I have scant deatils on 2 but the third (who was killed) is missing.

Any details on Henry Winn or Frank Ward or his brother (possibly William?) Ward you could furnish would be excellent.

Kindest regards

Mark