Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Lancashire Fusiliers October 1916 ?

christopher

Hello - can anyone confirm what the 2nd bn Lancashire Fusiliers were doing on 12 October 1916 ?

I think they were involved in the attack on Transloy ?

Thanks

christopher

Hello - can anyone confirm what the 2nd bn Lancashire Fusiliers were doing on 12 October 1916 ?

I think they were involved in the attack on Transloy ?

Thanks

christopher

You're correct.

Dave.

Hi christopher

They took part in failed attack on Zenith Trench on 12th October according to The Somme The Day by Day account by Chris McCarthy. I have not checked this with Official History.

Annette

Mmm.. Interestingly the battalion's calendar of movements, as recorded in Vol II of the Official History does not mention this, simply recording the unit as being 'In Trenches, Auchonvillers' from 6th to 13th. I'll be able to check with Vol 1, the detailed narrative, but this will have to wait for my return from Ieper at the end of next week.

From British Battalions on the Somme,

"Unsuccessful attack towards Le Transloy12th October, casualties 345, relieved and and to Bernafay Wood 14th October"

Bob.

That`s 2 posts seeking information, Christopher - 7 replies. I`m sure a word of appreciation would not go amiss! <_< Phil B

Thanks for all of the replies - you have all given me really useful information here. Sorry i took so long in replying - but not lucky enough to have my own computer at the moment so have to visit the forum as and when i can - and thats not every day i'm afraid.

I do appreciate the help though.

christopher