Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RFC mic

aconnolly

I'm unable to get any match via National Archives for Ronald Malcolm McGregor, officer RFC/RAF, or Harold Graham, also Officer RFC/RAF. These are my wife's grandfathers; no one in the family knows much at all about their war. Are the MICs for the airforce held somewhere else? I realise this is probably a daft question and it is likely I just can't navigate the NA properly. I've tried searching the forum for any hints on where to go. All help gratefully received.

Regards & thanks

Andrew

Members of the RFC who carried on with service in the RAF after April 1918,do not have MiCs in with the Army ones{only RFC Men Died;KiA;Discharged,Etc; prior to the birth of the RAF are included as it {RFC} was an Army Unit until then,likewise RNAS Mens Awards are Recorded in the RN Mics.

However you should be able to trace his RFC/RAF Service Record in Person @ the NA {Not On line] or through the London Gazette[Online~Commissions & promotions are listed#but may involve a long search]

RAF MiCs are I believe still held by RAF Records. :(

I may have misunderstood either the question, or the answer, but there are definitely RFC/RAF mics available via Documents online. A keyword search using 'Royal Air Force' gives nearly 27,000 hits, and although some of these might not be relevant, they include men who both died and survived the war. Some had service with the RFC/RAF; some additional service with another unit prior to RFC/RAF [infantry/artillery etc.]; and some whose service is given as RAF alone, although this could be a case of two cards somewhere in the pile.

Sue

No misunderstanding ....There are RAF MiC,or rather cards that pertain to men who served in the RAF,however the Majority of RAF Cards are still held by RAF Records,or whatever they call themselves these days,as they haven't been released for Public Access.{Though RAF Service Record Papers Have} :(