Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Soldier service details needed

The Major

Hello. As a new member I have been very pleased with other people providing answers to my questions. Thanks again. Please may I try one more name as I hope somebody can help me with him. Why is most of it not filled in, what does it say and can anyone provide other details of what he did? He is a distant relation and I know he survived the war. Thanks.

post-7833-1125089908.jpg

Major,

Forgive me if I'm wrong but doesn't the writing on the right handside of the card say "Inelig Great War Madals", which obviously means "ineligible" and that he was unqualified to receive them for whatever reason??

Someone within the Forum is bound to get onto the case of this one and give you the relevant answer.

Graham.

Major

He appears in the November 1918 Army list with a seniority date of 21 August 1918 in the 11th Hussars. On 21st September 1918 he is listed as still being with 11th Hussars, but in a reserve cavalry regiment.

The Reserve Cavalry Regiments were affiliated to various cavalry units in order to supply reinforcements for the regiments overseas. In August 1914, the 12th Reserve Cavalry Regiment was formed and affiliated to the 11th and 13th Hussars. Later in the war a number of Yeomanry regiments were also affiliated to the Regiment. Early in 1917, 12th Reserve Regiment was absorbed into the new 3rd Reserve Regiment of Cavalry at Aldershot.

Although he was commissioned into the 11th Hussars, his late entry into the war almost certainly means that he was with 3rd Reserve Cavalry in the UK when the war ended, and therefore he had no entitlement to any medals.

Terry Reeves