Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Minimum age for Irish volunteers?

Hi,

Can anyone tell me what the minimum age for Irish volunteers was?

Secondly, what sort of stories have been confirmed regarding underage soldiers ie: those who enlisted despite being under the required age?

In general, does anyone know the (real) ages of the youngest soldiers to have enlisted and served?

Thanks.

Guesteile

An often discussed tale is that of John Condon, supposedly 14 years old and therefore the youngest allied soildier killed in the Great War.

See http://www.cwgc.org/cwgcinternet/casualty_...casualty=491331 for details.

However, the tale is doubted by some who have researched it. See also

http:/www.cwgc.co.uk/condonevidence.htm

Guesteile,

All boys who enlisted into the British Army were classed as volunteers, although I believe they could only enlist with the consent of a parent or guardian and I the minimum age was actually twelve years old. Unfortunately I don't have a copy of Recruitng Regulations which would confirm this, but I do have a copies of King Regulations for 1908 and 1914, which dedicate a section to Boys.

Many who enlisted had infact been born into the regiment and were already on the family rolls. So for many it was a natural progression to follow their fathers.

Boys were enlisted as trumpeter, drummer, bugler, piper or bandsman but if they failed to make progress within six months of their service, then with their consent they could become tailors. Boys who enlisted as tailors, shoemakers or saddlers were to remain in that trade and could not be transferred without permission of the War Office.

On attaining the age of 18yrs, they were taken of the boys roll, but could not be sent overseas unitl the age of 19yrs.

Boys under 19yrs did serve during the Great War, many without the consent of parents or guardians, having lied about their ages, which is an offence under Kings Regs. Many parents complained, which eventually was voiced in Parliament, the result being around up of underage boys many of whom were sent home. Many boys didn't wish to return home, so boys holding units were formed, until they reached the age in which they could join their battalion.

Graham.