Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Going to Verdun

altom

WE ARE GOING ON A 2 DAY VISIT TO VERDUN ON SEP 7 + 8,CHRISTINA HOLSTEIN HAS BRAVELY :rolleyes: VOLUNTERED TO BE OUR GUIDE,ARE THERE ANY OUT OF THE WAY PLACES NOT LISTED IN THE NORMAL GUIDE BOOKS THAT WE SHOULD ASK HER TO SHOW US??AND COULD ANYBODY RECOMMEND A GOOD PLACE TO DRINK AND EAT IN VERDUN? IF THERE IS ANYBODY ELSE ABOUT AND YOU HAPPEN TO BUMP INTO US (GROUP OF 7 CHATTING AWAY IN WELSH),PLEASE COME OVER TO SAY HELLO OR BUY US A BEER :P

IEHID DA, ALAN THOMAS

Alan I doubt there is anywhere that Christina isnt aware of but Caures Wood up by Driant's post is a must walk through - take your boots. Also the tunnels at Vaquais but I expect that will be too far out of the way. Not sure about eating but there is a great little bar that sells KWAK - but I am damned if I can remember what it was called.

Don'tt worry. Christina only takes you to places that aren't in the guidebooks.

If you want to go to somewhere in a guidebook you have to aske specially.

Ask Christina about eating and drinking and staying in Verdun.

I've tried the lot and found them all pretty awful (and if I leave home early - 0630 - I can be on the battlefields just as early as if I staye in a hotel), but Christina seems to find the odd place acceptable.

Maybe go for a walk through Tavennes Tunnel ...it feels interesting when your in there .. I would like to walk all the way through one-day , but with fading torches and only a day to look around , time wasn't on our side .

As for food ..maybe I have no taste buds but Christina took us to an Italian just near the Coq that was great and really friendly , and also the meal we had on our own the following night further down the river front was even better . I asked from my phrasebook in diabolical halting French if they had a table for two ... and the young lady replied in english " well done ..ofcourse we have a table for you "..they made us feel very welcome . Also there is a lady's underwear shop just near the Coq that my wife showed no fear and went in and was served by another charming lady ... all in all Verdun was so much better as a town than I imagined . The Coq Hardi was superb also ...but Christina was right , check the bill very carefully when you leave .

Phil.

I too have walked part of the Tavennes Tunnel but one needs to be quite careful cause the other track/tunnel is active.

Coq Hardi has slipped terribly as of 3 years ago, at 1 time it had a Michelin Star, never again for me.

• 2 weeks later...

I was in Verdun a couple of weeks ago and stayed for the first time at Les Colombes on the Av. Garibaldi (that leads to the station). It's fine, if a bit plain. I had a room with a balcony over a garden at the back and it was extremely quiet, basic furnishings, with a small shower. There is a lock-up garage at 5 euro/night. The chap who runs it also runs a couple of postcard/book shops over the river and has some interesting stuff to sell. The Colombes is between two restaurants and we had a really nice meal in L'Odysée, which is on the right as you face the front of the hotel.

On a different point, when I was there last weekend, foresters were working on the ridge about 500 mtrs from Ft. Douaumont using a horse. I haven't seen a working horse at Verdun for over 10 years. It was really nice to see forestry being done up there without the huge logging machines they've been using for a while.

Phil - nice to see your name. How's life among the gum trees?

Christina

Not sure about eating but there is a great little bar that sells KWAK - but I am damned if I can remember what it was called.

L'Estaminet I recall.................the one you, Mike Cross, Terry D & Terry R left me to sort the bill out when I didn't speak French & the barman didn't speak English.................. :blink: