Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

L/Cpl. G. K. Johnston, Motherwell, Scotland

chris.wight

While trawling through the Red Deer, Alberta newspaper, I came across this obituary for him, link.

"The following extract was taken from the Motherwell Times, a paper from his home town in Scotland, just received by Ald. W. E. Lord:

Intimation has been received by his parents that Lance-Corporal George K. Johnston, Canadians, has died of wounds received in action on 10th November. Lance-Corporal Johnston is a son of Parish Councillor T. Johnston, and previous to emigrating to Canada six years ago was a well-known figure in local circles. Lance-Corporal Johnston joined up early in the war, and came over to England in April, 1916, going overseas in May last. He had the rank of Coy.-Sergt. Major previous to sailing, but on being posted to another battalion had to give in his stripes. In the short period with his new battalion he had already gained promotion. Lance-Corp. Johnston previous to sailing for Canada, was on the staff of Messrs. D. Colville and Sons. He was a young man of sterling qualities, and his interests were manifold. A keen bowler, he was a director of the Motherwell bowling club, and a player of no mean order. Musically he was a fine baritone singer, and gave his services for every deserving object. He was an outstanding member of Brandon Street G.F. Church Choir. It was through his Boys' Brigade connection that he was best known. As the first captain of the No. 6 Motherwell Coy., he accomplished splendid work, and for many years acted with conspicuous ability as C.O. of the Motherwell battalion. In Canada he held the position as secretary and treasurer to the firm of Messrs. W. E. Lord (Ltd.), at Red Deer, Alberta. Lance-Corp. Johnston has another two brothers serving in France - Gunner Andrew Johnston, R.F.A., and Lance-Corp. Tom Johnston, Gordons. Mr. James Johnston, Parish Registrar, is a brother of the fallen soldier, whose early death is deeply deplored by a wide circle of friends in Motherwell."

Here is his page on the CWGC, link, and his attestation papers, link, show he enlisted with the 51st Battalion from Edmonton, Alberta. At the time Lance-Corporal Johnston died, the 10th Battalion was involved in operations at Passchendaele.

Does Motherwell have a Memorial and if so would anyone have a photo?

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Motherwell does have a war memorial, not sure if it lists names - I will try get along this weekend and get a picture - I can also try look up teh Motherwell Times and see if I can find the Original report

Alistair

Does it have WW2 names as well?

Will you get it or will I? I will be going back to the heritage center on Saturday so its just down the road and I can get pics of it - want to try get 2 WW2 names if they are on it.

Does the Wishaw one have names? or are they just spread through the local church memorials?

Alistair

The Motherwell one lists WW2 as well, yes. If you're definitely going to be in the area then I'll leave this one to you.

The main Wishaw Memorial at the Sports Centre doesn;t list names, although there are some names on the one in Belhaven Park and the one to the "Heather Club" near the new Hospital.

Slightly off topic, but am I the only person in Wishaw that thinks the main War Memorial is in the wrong place? It seems rather out of the way, sitting next to the Sports Centre some distance from the Main Street. If it had been up to me I'd have place it near the Library, in fact right where they moved that fountain to would have been the perfect spot. That way more people would know about it and see it...

Thank-you Alistair and DMcNay for your kind offers.

Was that the original place for the Memorial? The town I used to go to University at originally had their Memorial at the corner of a major intersection. When I returned years later, the Memorial had been moved due to the intersection being redone. The new location was at the side of the town hall, a much more peaceful and appropriate location than its former site.

Slightly off topic, but am I the only person in Wishaw that thinks the main War Memorial is in the wrong place? It seems rather out of the way, sitting next to the Sports Centre some distance from the Main Street. If it had been up to me I'd have place it near the Library, in fact right where they moved that fountain to would have been the perfect spot. That way more people would know about it and see it...

Yup I will go Saturday - just keep your fingers crossed it not rainy and overcast.

I am not sure if the location is the original one - I have something in my head that tells me it was moved a few years ago after it was vandelised, but that may just have been from the back of the sportscenter to the front.

Alistair

Hi Chris,

I got photos of the memorial and his name on it, plus scans of the original article in the Motherwell Times - PM me your email address and I will send them on to you.

cheers

Alistair

Hi Alistair. I've sent you a PM.

• 2 months later...

I found a photo of Lance Corporal Johnston in the December 28, 1917 copy of the Red Deer Advocate, link.

post-2466-1135125108.jpg

Hello!

Can somebody email the photo and the links to me. Johnston would fit perfectly for the Passchendaele Archives. We don't have many Canadians yet... .

Thanks,

Jan

Hi Jan. The link to his obituary is: http://136.159.239.228//newspapr/np_page2....de=nf1p0007.jpg and to the photo: http://136.159.239.228//newspapr/np_page2....de=nf2p0824.jpg. For the photo, you can save if from my post.

Thanks Chris! He is another lad for the Passchendaele Archives! There is still a lot of space left... . ;)

kind regards,

Jan