Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Powell. Daphne E. QMAAC. 11/4/19

burlington

This girl was buried in Talgarth (Powys) St Gwendolin Churchyard with a CWGC stone, picture below, BUT she is not on the Talgarth War Memorial that remembers the MEN of Talgarth who died in WW1 & WW2.

I don't know the cause of death but may be influenza. I assume that if SHE had been a HE then HIS name would have been on the War Memorial.

I feel a bit cross about this on her behalf. Am I making too much of it or do you think that there may some mileage in making a fuss/ Presumably this is not the first time that someone has thought of this but times change.....

What do we think. This is her grave:

Martin

post-1268-1124974880.jpg

Martin

As we've seen in numerous other posts, inclusion on memorials is arbitrary and follows local rules laid down at the time.

Hard to say whether it's worth pursuing. Depends on a whole host of local factors, but there's no harm in a speculative enquiry to the local authority or whoever else is responsible for its upkeep.

Stephen

Thanks. I agree but as we have seen in a recent case (the details escape me) changes can be made even at this late date.

Martin

Stephen

Thanks. I agree but as we have seen in a recent case (the details escape me) changes can be made even at this late date.

Martin

Martin

If you are going to approach anyone about this omission of D E Powell's name, don't forget her brother Pte. Charles Baden Powell 68023 SWB who died 18th February 1921 aged 21, whose grave is next to his siter's. His name does not appear on the local war memorial.

Myrtle

post-38-1125273025.jpg

Could it be that neither of them had a connection with the village?

Martin

If you are going to approach anyone about this omission of D E Powell's name, don't forget her brother Pte. Charles Baden Powell 68023 SWB who died 18th February 1921 aged 21, whose grave is next to his siter's. His name does not appear on the local war memorial.

Myrtle

Myrtle

I took a picture of the memorial as well but did not check that her brother was on it.

Curiouser & curiouser.

And they were local people

Martin

Assuming that the memorial was raised after April 1919, and that at least one of the parents was still alive, then I would think they made a choice not to have the names added. Many names are omitted from memorials nationally by relatives with their own good reason, not only in error or by neglect.

I know this discussion has come up before, but I come into the camp that feels memorials are a historical document of the time - I think it was Tom Morgan who said [to paraphrase!] that we wouldn't dream of changing an old book, we'd write a new one, so why change a memorial? The graves look well tended, and provide good local commemoration for the pair - I feel the memorial decision at the time should be respected.

Sue

There was an example of local discrimination in the next village to my own in Sussex - although WW2 related.

A husband (Royal Artillery) and his wife (WAAF) were killed in the same non-enemy action incident in 1943. The war memorial is in the churchyard where they are buried together and, when the WW2 names were added, the local committee decided to include his name but not hers!

This was rectified several years later when her name was added after local disquiet forced the issue.

There is a possibility that the Powell brother and sister don't appear on the Talgarth Memorial due to the date the memorial was built. There are three other soldiers buried in the same churchyard with dates of death 1921 who do not appear on the local War Memorial. The only earlier burial is that of a soldier who died in 1917. He is not commemorated on the local memorial but he is listed by CWGC as from Llangorse not Talgarth.

Myrtle

I think you have hit the nail on the head.

I wonder if this topic has been taken up locally in the past. We may never know.

Thanks

Martin