Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A Woman in Berlin (1945) - Marta Hiller

Jonathan Saunders

I have posted a similar request on the WW2 Forum without any luck – I know there are PALS that’s use this Forum with an interest on the impact of war in women’s history so thought I would try here!

I am reading the harrowing diary A WOMAN IN BERLIN that recalls one woman's experiences during the period April to June 1945.

I have trawled around the internet but cant yet decide whether this is an authentic diary - can anyone else shed any light on this? (Irrespective of its authenticity I dont doubt it is a "diary" of sorts whether written in 1945 or in subsequent years and very representative of the collective experience).

The author is anonymous but believed to be Marta Hiller. Does anyone know what happened to Marta in the years that followed and what path her life took The book was first published and caused uproar in Germany in the mid-50s and Marta (if she is the author) would not allow it to be published again until after her death that occurred recently. I understand the republication has been reasonably high profile in Germany and I thought this may have led to further information about Marta Hiller being placed in the public domain but I cant find any via the internet.

Does anyone know differently?

Many thanks in advance for any answers - also recommend this book to all, especially those interested in women’s history.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest British Sapper

Yes, I have come across this book. It is certainly true.

The Russians were exhorted by their propagandists to rape German women. This mass rape was one of the worst kept secrets of WW2, similar to the Katyn massacre but of course Russia was involved in the prosecution in the Nuremberg War Trials.