Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help deciphering

evason

Hi all

Could anybody help me to decipher my great great uncles medal card and tell me where i can find more information on him and his regiment? I have attached the medal card but i am not sure if i have done it correctly so if not please forgive me.

Joannie

Joannie

Its not visible I'm afraid. Can you attach it as a jpg file?

Regards

Mike

Hi Mike

Every time i try to attach as a jpeg it keeps giving me the following message.The total filespace required to upload all the attached files is greater than your per post or global limit. Please reduce the number of attachments or the size of the attachments. The jpeg is 212kb any suggestions how i can attach it.

joannie.

P.S I think i might have cracked it here goes

post-7407-1125003931.jpg

The card confirms that your man 35677 C W Kinsley of the 41st Battery, Royal Field Artillery won the Military Medal in France. His medla is gazetted on page 7 of London Gazette number is 29780 (Second Supplement) published 10 October 1916.

http://www.gazette-online.co.uk/archiveVie...&selHonourType=

His campaign medals are actually recorded under the name Kingsley.

Medal card of Kingsley, C

Corps Regiment No Rank

Royal Field Artillery 35677 Corporal

You can download his other MIC here:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...1&resultcount=6

Rgds

Tim D

The Military Medal was a bravery/gallantry medal given for gallantry in the face of the enemy.

This was in addition to his Service Medals as Tim has highlighted above which were given to all soldiers who served in a theatre of war.

At this time of the war the delay between the award being won and it being formally announced in the London Gazette was around 3 months which means the MM was probably won around the time of the start of the Somme Offensive.

This would probably mean that the medal was won around July 1916.

If the unit is 41st Battery RFA then they were in XLII (42) Brigade RFA in 3rd Division from 04 Aug 1914 - 11 Nov 1918 (i.e. the whole war)

The 3rd Divsion were heavily involved in the early battles of the Battle of the Somme.

Hope this helps,

Steve.

Joannie,

Your best hope lies in seeing whether his service papers still exist. Someone might be able to assist if you place a post in the 'I'm Going to the NA' portion of the forum...otherwise you may have to secure a researcher. You may be able to get a general idea of what actions his unit was involved in by consulted a history of his unit, or the division he was attached to. I don't know whether either was written but am sure someone else will be able to shed some light on this. You are very lucky that he was awarded an MM, which has highlighted his unit, otherwise (given that he was in the artillery) you may never have been able to find this out.

Rgds

Tim D

:blink: Thanks Tim.

I will have a go at posting a message as you said. The only other thing i know about Charles is that he has a medical discharge towards the end of the war. Will have to ask my uncle about this.

Once again many thanks

Joannie