Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unknown ship and plane

Chris

Hi all

I think the picture dates from just after WW1, but not sure. Can anyone tell me the name of the ship from this pic, or what all the flags mean. And i final question is the plane identifiable from the pic given that its number of N9469 is visible. Actually any info would be appreciated as my knowledge of the contents of this pic amount to nil.

Cheers

Chris

post-1012-1124957367.jpg

Chris

N9469 was a Fairey IIID reconnaissance floatplane built by Fairey Aviation in the 1920s; the type entered service in 1924. The IIID was a [normally three-seater]post-War development of the Fairey IIIC seaplane that saw limited active service in North Russia in 1919.

I hope this is useful.

Gareth

Chris,

That's HMS Vindictive in post 1925 condition.

Conceived as a cruiser, HMS Cavendish, she was completed in late 1918 as the carrier HMS Vindictive. Reconverted to a cruiser 1923-25, she retained a hangar, crane and catapult in place of B gun.

I haven't a decent photo of her but look here http://www.battleships-cruisers.co.uk/hms_cavendish.htm

Rich

Thanks to both of you for the information and cheers for the link Horace, whilst on it i had a look round and was able to look at details for ships relatives had served on in WW11.

Cheers

Chris