Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bemersyde

PhilB

It`s usually described as "The gift from a grateful nation". Does anyone know what the process/personnel were that decided upon this gift? Was there a consultation process of some kind? If so, who would have been consulted? Phil B

Phil, I think it was the gift of the government. So all that was needed, presumably, was to draw up the plan to purchase the house and present it to H**g, then put the plan to the House of Commons and get a successful vote in favour. Hiccups from the House of Lords would have been unlikely. Job done.

Tom

post-7-1124910520.jpg

Thanks, Tom. Does it appear to have been "swept through on a tide of gratitude and goodwill" or slipped through by a cabal? Phil B

Where is it, and who owned it before it was given to Haig?

I thought Haig was offered a certain sum but demanded substantially more - partly to pay for Bemersyde and the government had little option but to bail him out. Originally the government's "gift" was supposed to be increased by public subscription but no doubt due to the continued hardships suffered by the population as a result of 4 years of war, the public subscription did not amount to much.

Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Bemersyde belonged to the Haig family. It was purchased from Lieutenant Colonel AB Haig and was valued at the time at £53,700. I believe the place had special significance for Haig. He was extremely sensitive not to say snobbish about social position and felt that the gentry saw his branch of the family as parvenus; people merely in trade. Bemersyde was meant to anchor him socially, to establish ancient lineage. The estate was purchased by the Bemersyde Fund as a personal gift from the people of the British Empire. Banks throughout the country accepted contributions to the fund but I have seen it suggested that it fell short of the target and was perhaps topped up by Haig himself from his parliamentary grant of £100,000. I believe he had lobbied for £250,000.

I suppose you could liken this sort of thing to the similar situation to Blenheim and the Duke of Marlborough. Though this 'story' does seem to leave a lasting stigma to the image of a man who cared for the men after the war.

I am vaguley familar to the facts of this chapter in Haigs life but do not seem to recall if, like Jon says, was it granted at the behest of the 'people' or by Haigs demands?

Looks like a beautiful place from the picture. The cost seems exceptionally high for its day. Can anyone tell me it value now?

regards

Arm.

The house also needed considerable restoration before he could move in some three years later.

Between 1920 and 1924 he spent £30,000 pounds on it and designed and built himself a sunken garden.

Bob.

I suppose someone embroiled in trench warfare would feel at home in a sunken garden.

Hi there,

I did a quick check as visited the house in 1984 and met Haigs son who was a retired major and Colditz inmate. Here is the background, It was the homes of the Haigs from the time of the 9 th laird of Bemersyde, Sir Andrew Haig, who was knighted by Robert 3rd of Scotland in 1390.

The direct line died out in 1867 and the ancestral manor of Bemersyde passed into other hands, but in 1921 it was purchasd by the nation and presented to Sir Douglas Haig of 1st World War fame who had been created Earl Haig, Viscount of Dawick and Baron Haig of Bemersyde House in 1919. The family seat, which is at St. Boswells, Berwickshire, remains in the hands of his descendants.

As to market value with a background like that £1.75m its secluded and freezing in the winter so would suit someone looking to play trench warfare in the sunken gardens and perhaps Christmas football in the snow.

Cheers,

Rob

As to market value with a background like that £1.75m its secluded and freezing in the winter so would suit someone looking to play trench warfare in the sunken gardens and perhaps Christmas football in the snow.

Cheers,

Rob

that does not seem like a good increase considering the price that Haig paid when you consider the value of houses in britian now.

regards

Arm

Apparently the first Haig as Petrus de Hage settled into what became Bemersyde House and estate in the 12th century.By 1854 the direct line had died off and the estate passed into the ownership of the distiller Haigs.Prior to 1921,the estate was owned by Haig's cousin.

Wasn't Bemersyde described as a gift from the people of the British Empire unless the British nation infers the Empire?.

The practice was not new and one only has to consider the titles and estates that were bestowed by William of Normandy on his followers on the conclusion of his successful seizure of the throne of England.While in William's case it can be safely said that these awards were the face of feudalism.In Haig's case the reward can be regarded as a bonus from his employer.

The present Earl appears to be more at home as an artist, a vocation he followed from his time as a POW in Colditz as a member of the "Prominente"

In the 13th century,Thomas the Rhymer (considered to be a Scottish Nostradamus ) prophesied the the future of Bemersyde House by the following rhyme:

"Tyde what may betyde

Haig will be Haig of Bemersyde"

Incidentally,Thomas has not prophesied the chances of Scotland winning any world cup

Regards

Frank East

• 1 month later...

I was very surprised to come across this in "Haig`s Diary":-

Letter to Lady Haig, 24 Oct 1916

Yes I liked Mr Oliver`s letter and particularly your tactful reply. It was nice of him too to think of the country presenting me with Bemersyde, that old place on the Tweed that has never belonged to anyone but Haig. We must finish the war first before we think of any such things. Besides it is sufficient reward for me to have taken part in this Great struggle, and to have occupied no inconsiderable position amongst those who have helped our country to weather the storm.

As this was before the Somme had ended, it rather destroyed my image of the grateful nation thanking the victor. Who was Mr Oliver? Phil B