Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Royal Flying Corps Bases

AndyDale

Hi, I'm looking for any information regarding the RFC / RAF squadrons my great grandfather 186468 AC2 Alexander McCaw RAF served with in WW1.

He was stationed at: ‘21 R Base’ or ‘21 B Base’ Catfirth between 2nd June 1918 and 14th October 1918 then ‘7 SD’ between 14th October 1918 and 9th October 1919.

Any information regarding the whereabouts, history, movements and if they saw action will be much appreciated.

Cheers

Andy

Andy

This probably isn't as comprehensive a reply as you hoped for, but at the Armistice, the RAF units stationed at Catfirth were 300 Flight and the Seaplane Station in 28 (Operations) Group - parts of the RAF attached to the Grand Fleet. "21 B Base" is probably No 21 Balloon Base at Lerwick. "R Base" could be Repair Base; there was an [apparently unnumbered] Aircraft Repair Base at Scapa.

7 SD is probably No 7 Stores Depot at Mexborough, part of 18 (Operations) Group.

I hope this helps.

Gareth

Hi Gareth,

Thanks for the reply, I'm very interested in your sources, where did you get the information from?

Do you know anything about the WW1 RFC base at Doncaster Racecourse too?

Regards

Andy

Andy

The primary source was the RAF 11 November 1918 Order of Battle in Chris Hobson's Airmen Died in the Great War, plus various documents and journals that I've collected.

No 47 Training Depot Station (which combined Nos 41 and 49 Training Squadrons) seems to have been the only RAF unit at Doncaster, so it's probably the one you're interested in. A TDS was a combination of Training Units, and was designed to progress a pupil from basic training to something like close to operational readiness.

I hope this helps.

Gareth