Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

East Kent Mounted Regiment

twinottercaptain

My great uncle served with the 10th (Royal East and West Kent Yeomanry) Battalion, The Buffs. (Individual was S.A.C. Newnham). I recently purchased a copy of Ponsonby's book, so I was able to follow the expoits after the units were combined. Is there any further information that anyone can offer on the origins, and history of the REKMR. My records show the Sidney was attested as a private in 1913 with the serial number 1603. He later became SN 270077. If anyone can point me to a further source of information or add anything from their own research, it would be appreciated. I reside in Canada, so a trip to the PRO is a little out of the question at this point in time. Mnay thanks in advance

As you can see from the image below, there is a gap in the medal rolls. I believe that his original number was 1608 and then 270077 when the TF were renumbered.

post-174-1124898881.jpg

This is confirmed by the MIC online. This also indicates that he was commisioned into the REKMR followed by a transfer to the RAF as a Flight Officer. It is possible that his medals were issued by the RAF, hence the gap in the medal rolls. I've checked my Buffs officers rolls and he doesn't appear in them either.

A quick look at the online catalogue for army officers' service records has drawn a blank but I'm sure you'll find his record in AIR 76 (RAF officers' records), unless he carried on serving into the 1920's.

Can you download his MIC by following the link and let me know what the numbers are against his medal entitlements and we may find his name in an obscure page of the rolls.

MIC link

Mick

Edited by Michael

You will find some background on the East Kent MR here:

http://regiments.org/regiments/uk/volmil-e.../vcav/kentE.htm

A brief history of the Regiment is contained in 'The Uniforms of the British Yeomanry Force 1794-1914 - Vol. 13 The East Kent Mounted Rifles'

by R.J.Smith ISBN 0 9515714 4 3. Now out of print this publication often appears on E-bay.

Dave

Thank you to all those who replied. I did indeed forget to add some further information. Indeed S.A.C. Newnham did transfer to the RAF in 1918, while still in Egypt. I got a copy of his service record a few years ago. Poor quality photocopy but sort of readable. My mom also has his service medals. The photos I took show the rear inscription on the Star medal have engraved 1608 PTE S.A.C. Newnham R.E. Kent Yeo.

If I recall correctly, both of the other two had a Lieutenant rank on the edge, with RAF.

I did the usual Google search on the REKMR and got the Web hit indicated. I was looking for a little more detail on the unit than the link offered. Thanks for the reference to the book.

By the way if anyone is interested, I made an earlier follow up post with respect to The Buffs - The Royal East Kents, Research - Where do I begin dated August 20th.

I posted some info on the 10th (Yeomanry) Btn that may be of interest to some of you., after obtaining a copy of Ponsonby's book.

Cheers from Canada