Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Museum / short-run & local publications

Kate Wills

We visited two of the regimental museums in Warwick on Sunday, both excellent and well worth a detour if you are in the vicinity. In one, the Warwickshire Yeomanry Museum, next door to the Tourist Info Centre, I was delighted to find (see my signature to understand why) a 20 page booklet entitled 'Campion's War - being the experiences of a Warwickshire Yeoman 1914-1918'. It is a short memoir written by Philip Campion, a farmer from Bugbrooke, near Northampton. It was £5, which is perhaps a little pricey for a 20 page booklet, but as that £5 constitues a donation to the Museum, it is £5 well spent, for content and purpose.

We then went on to the Royal Warwickshire Regiment Museum, where my chequebook had another airing, and we came away with a number of titles, including a paper-covered reprint of Charles Carrington's history of the 1/5th RWR @ £10; a handsomly-produced hardback reprint of the history of the 2/8 Battalion RWR by HG Chidgey @£25, and books by JP Lethbridge on Birmingham in the Great War from £3.50 - £4.

On a recent visit to the North Lancs. Regiment Museum in Lancaster I filled my bag with the best selection of WW1 unit and personal memoirs I have yet seen in a military museum giftshop, which made me think of what I might be missing on a wider scale. Being one of those researchers whose interests cover every conceiveable unit, I happily gobble these up for pleasure and research, partularly when the prices are pocket friendly.

So, my proposition for this thread is:

can we compile a list of the WW1 publications that are ususally available from local museums, archives etc, that are not on general sale elsewhere?

This could be very useful for research purposes, as, like me you may currently be completely unaware of a book that will take pride of place on your shelves.

Kate I think you are right. The amount of local books and pamphlets that may be available in 'local' areas is probably vast and yet not known to the majority.

Can not add to it my self but think the ideas has merit.

Perhaps you should get a large bus pass and travell the counties visiting and compiling the list personally.

regards

Arm.

Kate

Good idea. Would it be better as a WFA project to get in touch with all the regimental museums / archives and build a list that way?

Paul