BULLDOGFOGG

:huh: Pals im after a look up and ANY info on the officers listed below:

Capt G Symons 2ic D Coy 9th Cheshires Sept 1915

Lt E Watts 5 Pl B Coy 9th Cheshires Sept 1915

many thanks

Kevin

Kevin

Regimental History has the following extract:-

"In this battle (Loos), the first of our New Army battalions made their appearance under fire, the 9th Battalion in the 58th Brigade of the 19th Division and the 11th Battalion in the 75th Brigade of 25th Division. The 58th Brigade, whose Brigade Major was Major H S Adair of The Regiment attacked on 25th September against Rue D'ouvert, North of Givenchy and reinforced the attack of the 9th Welch Regiment, but was held up by uncut wire and machine gun fire. Captain Symons particularly distinguished himself bringing in wounded from the wire during the night and three men won the DCM."

I assume your Symons is the man listed the History as having been awarded an MC at some point. There's also a DSO award to an E Watts listed.

John,

Ive got that from the Cookenden book, my relative was one of the DCM's, slowly getting to the bottom of this. Just trying to use detective work to find out which 2 officers he brought back over the parapet that day when he won his DCM.

Regards

Kevin

And more detail on the attack, extracted from a write-up on one of my Stockport researchees (Sydney Bruckshaw) who was KIA:-

"After training, the newly formed Battalion went overseas on 18 June 1915. On 25 September 1915, the British Army was about to launch the attack that would become known as the Battle of Loos. 20 kilometres to the south, Sydney and his comrades, including Wilfred Gregory, were in trenches 500 yards north east of the village of Givenchy. The Cheshires and other battalions in the area were expected to launch a diversionary attack in this sector. The Cheshires would follow behind the 9th Battalion, Welsh Regiment and support them.

At 6.35am, “B” and “C” Companies advanced down the trench system towards the front line. “C” Company found their way blocked and had to get out of the trench and advance over the open ground. The Battalion’s War Diary records that, by 6.50, “B” company had reached the front line. Lieutenant Watts ran forward to find the men of the Welsh Regiment. “When found, they said their officers were down and did not know what to do. He found Captain Hughes dead and Captain McKenzie wounded. Watts asked if he should take over Welsh. McKenzie said “yes” then called out “Forward the Welsh and the Cheshires”. Lieutenant Watts signalled forward and was wounded.”

Captain Johnson, commanding “B” Company, later reported “I led the Company down the communication trench. At front trench, there was no sign of gas or smoke. I saw 9/Welsh going over the parapet……Later, I had a good look round with my glasses over the parapet and saw dead and wounded men. No-one was standing up……..I sent an orderly to Officer Commanding 9/Welsh asking for information and received message that OC 9/Welsh does not wish the Cheshires to advance and is trying to get his companies back. I withdrew 6 & 7 platoons and left No. 5 out in case of possible counter attack.”

The chaos of the attack is further confirmed in the concluding entries in the Battalion’s War Diary for the day. It notes that the Cheshires took over the front line from the Welsh at about 11.30am. The smoke and poison gas projected at the German trenches had not reached the enemy and the artillery covering fire had been ineffectual. “Reports from men who reached within 50 yards of enemy’s wire say that it was little cut.”

The Diary entry ends “Morale – our men hoped the Germans would counter-attack so they might have their revenge.” "

John,

Your a star, ive got the war diary too ! Although you have just de-ciphered some words i could not make out, so a big thank you.

Kevin