Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Message for Brendon Moorhouse

Nick Thornicroft

Apologies for being slightly "off-topic" in this section, but I was very kindly informed by John Beales that Brendon Moorhouse regularly contributes to the "Soldiers" Forum. My simple question to Brendon is: Does he know where the main recruiting office(s) was/were in Bristol for the SLI during WW1?

Many thanks

I would also try to flag down Annette Burgoyne if you are interested in the KSLI.

Andrew

Many thanks for that, but is she an expert on the Shropshire LI or the Somerset LI?

Nick

Hi Nick

My interest is Shropshires. Try and PM or email Brendon, I am sure he will not mind.

Annette

Andrew

Many thanks for that, but is she an expert on the Shropshire LI or the Somerset LI?

Nick

Sorry, I didn't read the topic title carefully enough did I? :ph34r:

Nick,

Sorry about the delay in replying. I have been away from my computer.

I am not an expert in recruting halls in Bristol and so there may be others. I am aware that the Colston Hall in Bristol was used at the beginning on the war - manned by volunteers and recruiting for all Regiments (esp SomLI and Glosters). The 1st 4,000 recruits (for all regiments) were dealt with there, until recruitment was moved to 'offices opposite' the Colston Hall.

I hope that this helps.

Brendon.