Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

180 Infantry Regiment Wurtemburg War Diaries

spike10764

Recently I was offered copies a section of the War Diaries of the above Regiment, from a man in Bremen who had seen my website.

His father served in this Regiment in the Great war, and had the diaries(or copies of them) which he left to his son.

The Regiment were in the Ovillers sector of the German line in June/July 1916, and helped defend the Leipzig Salient(opposite Authuille)as the Battle of the Somme started. As this was the section the 11th Borders attacked(my Great Grandfather included), I did not want to turn the offer down(especially as he offered them for free).

Here is the hitch, they are in German and the man did not have time to help translate them,due to his own work.

Can any of the German speaking pals help me out here ??

or

Can anyone make a suggestion as to what to do next ?

I have included a scan of page 1(there are 16) and obviously would scan and email the others if anyone were kind enough to help me.

Please, if you can help PM me-I'd be very grateful

Any other advice would be welcome also (I've never seen a German War Diary, so whilst not disbelieving the gent, I just don't know what the documents are).

Spike

post-1137-1124819465.jpg

Spike

This isn't the War Diary. What you have been offered are 10 pages from the 167 which make up the the regimental history: Das Wuerttemb. Infant. Regt No 180 im Weltkrieg 1914-1918, by [Oberst] Alfred Vischer (Commander during the Somme battle), published by the Belsersche Verlagbuchhandlung in Stuttgart 1920. There's nothing wrong with that. It's a good history, but the war diary is held in the Hauptstaatsarchiv in Stuttgart. Don't pay anything for them. If you want scans of these pages and he does not give them to you for nothing, I'll send them to you. I cannot see any particular value in translating this particular chapter either. It's interesting enough, but so are the chapters of about 500-600 other regiments who fought on the Somme - and the 180th actually has a book solely concerned with its distinguished period of service there.

Jack

Thanks Jack,

Just to put the record straight, there was no suggestion of any charge,in fact the gentleman would not even accept postage.:huh:

He offered the copies and I felt, well, why not, and he promptly provided them.

It was more the positioning of the regiment on July 1st, that made me take up his kind offer.

Thanks for letting me know the source of the book and the other sources you mention.

Spike

Have you seen the map on p117 of my book? If you identify precisely which German sector interests you and the date (I assume 1 Jul 16), I will look up the relevant information for you and let you know what it says. I have a feeling that RIR 99 might have been involved, but I cannot say for sure until you let me know exactly where you think the 11th attacked. Armed with that I should be able to let you have something.

Jack

and 2

(the orange sectors are those mentioned in the pages I was sent of the Reg His)

:( have to sign off now- on earlies in the morning

post-1137-1124832376.jpg

From what I can tell from looking at the British Official History your group attacked the portion of the Leipzig Redoubt held by companies in RIR 99. IR 180 was on their left and did become involved in the defense of this area when the 32nd Division broke into the German trenches.

Just aside, here is a photo of typical defenders from IR 180 who could have been in line on 1 July 1916.

Ralph

post-32-1124841609.jpg

Thanks Ralph.

It was me being unclear, the pages given to me were on the understanding that the 180 Reg were to the side of the attack and helped resist the assault from this position. The first post was a technical error in my wording, it should have read assited repulse the attack of the 11th Borders (and other battalions, as the 11th Borders were a follow up battalion leaving the woods at 8-8.30am) being in position to enfilade the area of attack.

What can I say- Iwas in a bit of a rush when I typed it, early shift- tired- all that :rolleyes:

Thanks again

Edited by spike10764

Granatloch_1_Jul_16.doc

Spike

I've had a look at the history of RIR 99, which I have not translated and it does not seem to me to offer information much different fromt that of the 52nd Res Inf Brigade,which I have. Attached are two extracts concerning 1 July 1916 in and around the Granatloch. Have a look at them and get back to Ralph (by the way, great photo, Ralph) or me if you have further queries.

Jack

Thanks very much Jack and Ralph,

I really do value your knowledge on these matters. Thanks for the documents and picture. I owe you both.

Spike

Fascinating. I have Jack's book on order from my local Waterstone's - can't wait.