Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RFA STANBURY TAYLOR

toofatfortakeoff

Lieutenant wait for it

George Robert Marmaduke Stanbury Taylor

Royal Field Artillery of Baysgarth Park, Barton upon Humber. North Lincolnshire.

Son of Robt Wright Taylor and Clara.

died of Wounds 3rd Ieper (sorry wont say any place names in French until they get a grip on the 'people' wrecking headstones)

30th Sept 1917 I saw a photo of this Officer in abook somewhere and can't remember where It might have been in a book regarding officers killed at Ieper or Passchendael.Can anyone help?

Thanks muchly Up the Clarets Sean

Sean

Yes I have it. It's in a book called "With a Poppy and a Prayer" I was hoping to scan it to you tonight but the scanners misbehaving and I'm off on hols for a couple of weeks. Unless someone else beats me to it send me an email and I'll get it to you in a couple of weeks. (Assuming you want a copy of course)

Hambo

Thanks a lot HAMBRO WILL LOOK FORWARD TO RECEIVING IT IS THE BOOK STILL IN PRINT? Cheers Sean

Lieut. George Robert Marmaduke Stanbury Taylor, 1st North Midland Bde, RFA TF

Born on 22 July 95 at South Kensington, the only son of Robert Wright Taylor of Baysgarth Park, Barton-upon-Humber, JP, Barrister-at-Law and his wife , Clara Louisa, daughter of George Hodgson of Nocton Hall, Lincoln.

Educated at Eton from 1908-1914 and at Trinity College, Cambridge

Admitted to teh Livery of the Clothworkers' Company in July 1917

Commissioned as 2nd Lieut, RFA in Feb 1915

Went to France and Flanders in Mar 17

Killed in action at Wieltje, near Passchendaele, on 30 Sep 17

Buried in Mendlinghem British Cemetary, near Proven, NW of Ypres.

Sources: DeRuvigney's The Roll of Honour. Volume 2; List of Etonians Who Fought in the Great War; Eton School Register, Part VIII, 1909-1919; War List of the University of Cambridge, 1914-1919.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks Rory thqt is top notch Im very grateful im in Belgium at the moment so will visit his grave tomorrow cheers Sean ps ignore the spelling Europeqn typeface havent worked it out yet::::