Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Major-General Ingouville-Williams CB DSO

Terry Carter

Hello all

Just been reading (again) The Somme Battlefields by Martin Middlebrook. He refers to the death, by shell fire, of Major-General Ingouville-Williams CB DSO who was also known as 'Inky-Bill' to his troops.

He was killed somewhere along the track running from Mametz Wood up tp Flat Iron Copse Cemetery.

He states that a small memorial marking the place of his death no longer remains. Does anyone know where this small memorial might have been placed.

Thanks

Terry

Hopefully the following extract from the 34th Division's War Diary, quoted in "The Thirty Fourth Division 1915-19" by Lt. Col. J. Shakspear is of some help:

"the GOC had been killed at seven p.m. by a shell-fire, whilst walking back from Contalmaison, round the south end of Mametz, to meet his car, which was at Montaubon. Exact spot was Square X.30.a.3.7 on top of the bank."

I'm afraid that I can't translate the WW1 map reference into an actual location but perhps somebody else can?

Thanks Martin.

perhaps someone else might copy a section of trench map for me.

I have the Trench map CD Rom, but since I upgraded my PC and now run Windows XP I cannot get it to work. I emailed Naval and Military press but have had no reply.

Regards

Terry