Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rouex Chemical Works Cite St Moulin

toofatfortakeoff

Has anyone been here and is there anything left standing. L/Sgt Oliver Gouldthorp 1/5th Lincolns staged his own show here by attacking MG nests in the works. He won the DCM CdeG and MM in quick succession around this time. Not a man to mess around with. He picked up a Lewis and fired it from the hip. I want to visit this place soon (Sept) anmd would like to know how to get. Cheers Sean

Sean,

Have you got access to trench maps and a current map of the area?

The 51st Highland Divisional Pioneers(8th Royal Scots) dug the following trenches in the area in 1917-Crow,Crook,Cash,Crete, Corona, Ceylon and Camel.

George

Hi Guys and thanks for taking the time out to reply-Marco an excellent site and one that i shall find most invaluable over the next few weeks. George as yet, I dont think I have a map but I will look this up this evening on the Lincolnshire's history of the Great war

All the very best and many thanks Sean

Has anyone been here and is there anything left standing.  L/Sgt Oliver Gouldthorp 1/5th Lincolns staged his own show here by attacking MG nests in the works.  He won the DCM CdeG and MM in quick succession around this time.  Not a man to mess around with. He picked up a Lewis and fired it from the hip.  I want to visit this place soon (Sept) anmd would like to know how to get.  Cheers Sean

I was there in April. There is nothing left of the works. There are a couple of bunkers not far away. Try " Cheerful Sacrifice" by Johnathon Nicholls.

Of all the places which I've visited in France, Roeux is the one which has left me feeling the uneasiest.

Maybe it is just the history of the place with its link with many Scottish regiments but I never enjoyed the feelings I had there and in Brown's Copse Cemetery.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks again for the information everyone I shall use it soon Thanks a lot Sean

Guest Simon Bull

I went there with Jon Nicholls, (author of "Cheerful Sacrifice"), it being an area of interest to me because I believe my grandfather won a MM fighting there.

"On the ground", as I understand it, the site of the Works is behind the "Shopi" supermarket which is right by the railway station. There is nothing left to see.

If you look in "Cheerful Sacrifice" there are "before" and "after" aerial photographs of the Chemical Works. The modern road and railway pattern is unaltered and you can work out the location from those photographs.

If you are going to Roeux, there is a fairly good example of a Hindenburg line fortification just of the main road going through the village, on the edge of a modern residential development. Sadly one cannot get into it.

Furthermore, although Brown's Copse is the well known cemetery in the Roeux area, I think that there are two cemeteries there which are among the most beautiful rural cemeteries I know. One is called Roeux British Cemetery, and the name of the other has escaped my sieve like memory, but it is on the approach route to Roeux British Cemetery. I have several times sat on the wall of the latter and eat a picnic lunch disturbed only by the sound of birds and, sadly, the occasional noise of a TGV passing, out of sight, close by. Nevertheless, the TGV does not detract from the generally quiet location.

This is what the remains of the Chemical Factory looked like in the early 1980s. As mentioned above, this ground is now covered by a supermarket and some tennis courts.

post-6-1126356792.jpg

thanks once more lovely photos may i have permission to use in my book acknoledgements will be at the front

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.

Was just flicking through a copy of Twenty Years After today, these maybe of some interest. Sorry about the scans, hope you can read the captions!

Regards, Chris.

post-47-1127594663.jpg