Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

8th Hampshire officer

Kate Wills

Does anyone have a list of the officers of the 8th Hampshires at the Armistice?

Earlier today I came across a mention of Lt Edward Cawardine, 8th Hampshires, conducting an orchestral concert in Cairo at Christmas 1918, but I can find no mention of him in the mics and London Gazette.

Kate: Edward Cawardine was commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant in the 8th (Territorial) Battalion of the Hampshire Regiment on 21 Dec 15 and was promoted to Lieutenant on 1 July 1917. Dick Flory

Thankyou Dick. Can I ask for your source please? I tried LG, mic and 1901 census to no avail.

Also is there a unit history to the 8th Hants. and if so can anyone lookup Cawardine for me please?

Kate

Looks like a potential transcription error on the 1901 census, where the name has been recorded as "Carwardine".

Is this your man? The family are also on the 1891 census with the name spelt this way, but on the 1881 census it is spelt as you have it.

post-1356-1124721386.gif

Sorry about the icons in the middle of the image !!

I also thought that the fact that he was a violinist may fit in with your comment about him conducting an orchestra, perhaps?

Stephen,

Thankyou very much for unravelling this. He looks to be my man, given his profession. Actually the fault may lie with the compositors of that copy of Egyptian Mail, which I came across in a display cabinet in the Warwickshire Yeomanry Museum yesterday.

Still no go on the mics. I will apply myself more fully with this new spelling this evening.

Thanks again.

Kate

LG 31347, 16 May 1919.

LG 29408, 17 December 1915

Hi Kate

We have had a look through our archive, and at the moment cannot find anything about your man, even though most of the changes to our Battalion were noted.

He would have been a replacment for the losses suffered by the 8th while at Gallipoli.

There is only a small booklet about the Princess Beatrice's Isle of Wight Rifles, (8th Battalion the Hampshire Regiment), written by Dennis Quigley. This is currently availble through the IOW Family History Society. I would post a link to their web site here, but I am afraid I don't know how, you will find it easily enough.

Anything else you would like to know about the Battalion, post away, or PM me.

They were part of 163 Brigade, 54th East Anglian Division, if you want to search through back posts on the Forum.

Gareth

Hi Kate

May have remembered wrong here but if the 8th were the Isle of Wight rifles from the 54th Division, T8Hants is your chap to ask. Id imagine he'd have summat on Mr Cowardine if anyone has? :D

Stephen,

You seem to have the knack with these capricious search engines. Ever thought of conducting an online course?

>>>>

Gareth,

Thankyou for searching your archive. It looks as though I'll have to add him to the shopping list for my next trip to the PRO.

Kater wrote:

Can I ask for your source please? I tried LG, mic and 1901 census to no avail.

Kate: My sources were the July 1916, November 1917 and November 1918 Army Lists. Dick