Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New Zealand Mounted Rifle Brigade

niall mallon

Hi Seeking information on Captain William Francis Allsopp from this regiment ,

reason to believe he was taken prisoner during 1914-1918 war and was given an award of some sort, any information greatly appreciated. :)

No William Francis Allsopp in NZEF

only

William Henry Alsop

AJ Alsopp

George Henry Allsop

and, the most likely.

Surname ALLSOPP

Given Name Frank

Category Nominal Roll Vol. 1

Regimental Number 13/264

Rank Sergeant

Body or Draft Main Body

Unit or Regiment Auckland Mounted Rifles

Marital Status S

Last NZ Address Wiri Papatoetoe Auckland

Next of Kin Title W

Next of Kin Surname ALLSOPP

Next of Kin Address Heathyard Farm Stafford England

I live in Papatoetoe, Auckland, so may be able to find out more about him

Bloody Gallipoli; Richard Stowers

Allsopp, Frank 13/264

Mention in despatches

Sgt Auckland Mounted Rifles LG 28 January 1916 p1210

in connection with the operations described in Gen I Hamilton's despatch dated 11 December 1915

NZ Recommendations

Allsopp Frank Sgt 13/264

Chunuk Bair 9 August

For gallant conduct and fine leading of his troop under heavy bomb and shell fire at a critical time on Chunuk Bair

If you read the "90 years ago" section for this date, you will find out what was going on. No actual mention in the text of Allsopp

He does not appear to have been captured at Gallipoli, if he was a POW

I checked my list of NZ Pows and he is in it

Frank Allsopp captured 3 August 1916

Afion Kara Hissar Camp, Turkey

presumably during service somewhere else in middle East

Thank you so much for that information Christine that is my Grandfathers brother, I would have loved to have gotten that kind of information on my Grandfather unfortunately his records were lost in England :)

Thanks Robert dont know much about that battle, would you know when he became a Captain, it seems he was sent back to England for some reason.

Niall, I can't answer your last question. You will find plenty of descriptions of the battle if you type 'Battle Romani' into Google. It was a significant action, being the last major attempt by a Turko-German-Austrian force to advance to the Suez, mainly with the intent of inciting Egyptian Arabs to overthrow the British rather than displace the British with military force.

Robert

Suggest you may be interested in this book. It was republished last year.

STORY OF TWO CAMPAIGNS. OFFICIAL WAR HISTORY OF THE AUCKLAND MOUNTED RIFLES REGIMENT, 1914-1919 by Sgt C.G.Nicol

As he was an officer, and was captured at or near Romani, he would almost certainly have been named in the book. Quite a few Anzac Mtd Div men were captured during that important battle which took place in the main between the 4th and 5th of August 1916.

Cheers

Geoff S

Niall

F Allsopp, Attested 22/8/14, 2/Lt 21/10/15, obtained rank of Captain 3/2/18. Mentioned in Despatches. POW. "Struck off" NZEF strength 25/6/19. Data from "Records of the NZEF" by Studholme. I'm looking at an AMR history by Nicol now. Will update if any more info.

Regards

Andrew

Niall

13/264 F Allsopp wounded Gallipoli 8/8/15 Rank at time was Sergent.

Pg 75-76 of Nicol referring to the August assault "its (AMR) total strength was 66, this including sick men who had not gone into the advance. Of the 288 officers and men who went into the advance, only 22 remained: Captain H Smith, .....Sergent Allsop, and 15 rank and file."

Pg 108 (Aug 1 1916)....." the troops of Finlayson and Allsopp were in touch with enemy patrols, and were able to send in valuable information as to the activities of the enemy at Hamisah".

Pg 114-5 (Aug 8) " on a board at Oghratina was found a message which confirmed the belief that Lt Allsopp and his patrol had been taken prisoner on the night of August 3. The message read: " Here was a German artillerie observation post and had seen all the movements of the English cavaliere. Lt Allsopp, AM Rifles, now a prisoner of war - a gentleman - had eaten in our batterie.""

Appears he and his men were sent on a bit of a wild goose chase and the Turks captured them at night. One man, Sgt Cheetham escaped. Eight others including Allsopp were captured.

Can't see any other refers.

Andrew