Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

9958 Pte P.A Cook 6th Lincolnshire reg. KIA Gallip

johnbeales

Any information on this individual or his units activities on the day of his death gratefully received; one of a number of individuals commemorated on the village war memorial in North Nibley, Glos. who I am researching for a village newsletter article.

SDGW info:

9958 Pte Phillip Alfred Cook 6th Lincolnshire Reg.

born Uley glos.

enlisted Stamford lincs.

residence north nibley

k.I.A 7/8/15 ,Gallipoli

Regards

John

Hi John

The 6th Lincolns landed at Suvla Bay as part of 33rd Brigade 11th (Northern) Division on the 6th of August and moved to Divisional reserve positions near Lala Baba. Advanced behind 32nd Brigade at 5.30pm across the Salt Lake, coming under heavy fire from the northern side.

At dawn on the 7th they were dug in near The Cut and were ordered in to an attack on Chocolate Hill at 2pm.

They advanced in extended order across the northern side of the Salt Lake with C and D companies leading and A and B companies in support. The regimental history describes them as being in "absolute parade ground order formation, a magnificent spectacular admired by all that watched"

When they reached the foot of the hill D and B companies went foward through the Royal Dublin Fusiliers, the leading waves being cut down by heavy shrapnel, machine gun and rifle fire. The Turkish trenches were rushed and taken

4 officers killed 2 wounded and approx 84 other ranks killed wounded or missing.

The were relieved on the 8th and returned to Divisional reserve

From British Battalions at Gallipoli by Ray Westlake

Hope this is what you're after

Best Regards Hambo

Exactly the sort of information I wanted. Thanks.

Anyone got access to 6th Lincolns war diaries or other sources?

John

Hi John

The 6th Lincolns landed at Suvla Bay as part of 33rd Brigade 11th (Northern) Division on the 6th of August and moved to Divisional reserve positions near Lala Baba. Advanced behind 32nd Brigade at 5.30pm across the Salt Lake, coming under heavy fire from the northern side.

At dawn on the 7th  they were dug in near The Cut and were ordered in to an attack on Chocolate Hill at 2pm.

They advanced in extended order across the northern side of the Salt Lake with C and D companies leading and A and B companies in support. The regimental history describes them as being in "absolute parade ground order formation, a magnificent spectacular admired by all that watched"

When they reached the foot of the hill D and B companies went foward through the Royal Dublin Fusiliers, the leading waves being cut down by heavy shrapnel, machine gun and rifle fire. The Turkish trenches were rushed and taken

4 officers killed 2 wounded and approx 84 other ranks killed wounded or missing.

The were relieved on the 8th and returned to Divisional reserve

From British Battalions at Gallipoli by Ray Westlake

Hope this is what you're after

Best Regards Hambo

John,

The 6th war diary doesn't seem to have survived for it's time in Gallipoli, the info Hambo gave is likely to be as detailed as it gets, as the regimental history doesn't add else.

Only things I can really add is that they left Farnham, Surrey on 30th June 1915 for Liverpool. Sailed on the Empress of Britain on July 1st, arrriving at Malta July 8th. Left Malta-July 10th, arrived Alexandria-July 12th. Reached Lemnos-16th July and Mudros 18th. Transported on the Osmanieh and Elkatura to Cape Helles on the 19th . First tour of the front lines was on the 21st. remained at Helles until 1st August. This info also comes from Westlake, which appears to heavily rely on Simpson's "The History of the Lincolnshire Regiment 1914-18".

I would think that Phillip would have been a very early August 1914 volunteer given his service number. ANy idea what he was doing at Stamford to have enlisted there, given where he was born and where his parents lived?

There is also a "Pte P. Cook, Lincs Regt", recorded on Stamford's Dec 1914 Roll of Honour which includes most men with a connection with the town then serving. I had not been able to track him down before so maybe he's your guy.

Good luck.

Jim

Thnaks Jim.

No, I've no idea how he came to enlist in Stamford; I'm just beginning this research. Hopefully If I can get enough introductory information for an article in the village newsletter some more info. may be forthcoming.

Regards

John

John,

The 6th war diary doesn't seem to have survived for it's time in Gallipoli, the info Hambo gave is likely to be as detailed as it gets, as the regimental history doesn't add else.

Only things I can really add is that they left Farnham, Surrey on 30th June 1915 for Liverpool. Sailed on the Empress of Britain on July 1st, arrriving at Malta July 8th. Left Malta-July 10th, arrived Alexandria-July 12th. Reached Lemnos-16th July and Mudros 18th. Transported on the Osmanieh and Elkatura to Cape Helles on the 19th . First tour of the front lines was on the 21st. remained at Helles until 1st August. This info also comes from Westlake, which appears to heavily rely on Simpson's "The History of the Lincolnshire Regiment 1914-18".

I would think that Phillip would have been a very early August 1914 volunteer given his service number. ANy idea what he was doing at Stamford to have enlisted there, given where he was born and where his parents lived?

There is also a "Pte P. Cook, Lincs Regt", recorded on Stamford's Dec 1914 Roll of Honour which includes most men with a connection with the town then serving. I had not been able to track him down before so maybe he's your guy.

Good luck.

Jim

Nothing obvious on the census to link him to Lincolnshire.

His birth was registered in Q2/1895 at Chepstow (which included parts of Gloucestershire).

In 1901, he lived with his father Harry, mother Margaret and three siblings in Uley. His father and siblings were all born in Glocuester and his mother was a native of Manchester.

Thanks Stephen.

As he has an early Reg.no. I wonder if it was just that he was in Stamford for work and signe dup at the onset. Excuse my ignorance but is there any particular industry associated with the area?

Regards

John

Nothing obvious on the census to link him to Lincolnshire.

His birth was registered in Q2/1895 at Chepstow (which included parts of Gloucestershire).

In 1901, he lived with his father Harry, mother Margaret and three siblings in Uley. His father and siblings were all born in Glocuester and his mother was a native of Manchester.

Thanks Stephen.

As he has an early Reg.no. I wonder if it was just that he was in Stamford for work and signe dup at the onset.  Excuse  my ignorance but is there any particular industry associated with the area?

Regards

John

At the time the two major employers were the Martin Cultivator Works, which was basically an iron foundry and Blackstones, an engineering firm. There were a few other engineering works in the town but apart from these it was just a regular market town.

One man who initially had no appearance of a connection to the town despite enlisting there (he was from Melchbourne, Beds) turned out to work on the Cecil estate.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Dear John,

If you have details where he is burried or commemorated, I'd be happy to get you a picture.

cheers

eric