Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HELP REQUIRED TO TRACE A WW1 KOYLI SOLDIER

Tom Grieves

Greetings All, I am new to this forum stuff.

I have recently discovered that my Dad Christopher Grieves served in KOLYI in WW1. Initially he served in the 24th Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers (1st Tyneside Irish) (24/1509) and was wounded 1 Jul 1916 near La Boisselle. Sometime later, after he recovered from his wounds, possibly in early 1917, he was transferred to the KOYLI with service number 33806 and possibly with the rank of Pioneer (he was formerly a coal miner). Can anyone assist me to find out what battalion he may have served in and what actions that battalion was involved in.

Regards,

Tom Grieves.

Tom

Have you downloaded his Medal Index Card which can be found here?

It lists him with the two regiments and service numbers you mention and also as

a corporal in the Royal Engineers (214395).

To find out which battalion of the KOYLI he was with you will need someone to use the reference on his Medal Index Card (MIC) and look him up on the Medal Rolls themselves. These are held at the National Archives at Kew.

I would be happy to oblige but given my current work stack it will be probably a week or so.

Anyone able to assist? If not I'll do it once I've covered my other commitments.

Could we get this moved to the Soldiers Section where, as Bob says, it might attract more attention please?

Regards

Mike S

Thanks Bob and Mike S,

I have not downloaded his medal index card because I got a copy of it and another form by other means some months ago (see attached). Mike, I would greatly appreciate your help at your convenience, I have sent you an email.

As suggested, I have posted this in the "Soldiers" section. I will get the hang of this forum in time. Thanks all.

Regards,

Tom Grieves.