Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

William Ralph grenadier guards

Linda_j

Hi

My grandfather William Ralph was in France in ww1, I have obtained both his medal cards but would like to know more about his war record and what he did to get the MM.

The first card shows Ralph William was in France from 5-10-1915 with the rank of private in the Grenadier Guards army number 21948.

His second card shows Ralph W. L/C 4th Battalion Grenadier Guards, same army number. This also gives Date of gazette 23-2-18, registered paper 68/121/399 and schedule number 143506.

I have searched the London Gazette but I have failed to find any mention of him.

Regards Linda

Here you are Linda, London Gazette Issue 30540, page 20, link.

Hi Linda

Welcome to the forum. If you want more details you could do a lot worse than write to the regiment. The address is

Major (Retd) R.G.Woodfield MBE

Regimental Archivist

Regimental Headquarters

Grenadier Guards

Wellington Barracks

Birdcage Walk

London SW1 6HQ

They normally make a charge for researchers but not for relatives. Mention the MM as they may well have a record of it. Also quote his service number

Good Luck and let us know how you get on

Hambo

Hi Chris and Hambo

Thank you both for the help it is much appreciated.

I went and read the entry in the London Gazette that previously I had searched in vain! My mother had not even known any thing about her fathers medals from the war. This will be a surprise for her too.

Thank you both again.

Linda

I wrote to the Archivist for the Grenadier Guards recently and had a reply back in just over 3 weeks with the copies of the papers for my dad's cousin.

Hi squirrel

I will get a letter off and see what records they have.

Thank you.

Regards Linda

I wrote to the Archivist for the Grenadier Guards recently and had a reply back in just over 3 weeks with the copies of the papers for my dad's cousin.