Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rupert Brooke/Lord Archer

aliecoco

Hi,

Being a fan of the poet, and rather handsome, Rupert Brooke, is it true that Jeffrey Archer now lives in his former home in Granchester? (Obviously not recently!) Can anyone confirm or give more details? I understand that is where Lord Archer went to on leaving prison yesterday. If its true, those 'walls' could talk, what history!!

Alie.

Alie

Yes it is true.

If I remember they have lived there perhaps 20+ years. In the early 90s I once received an invite to attend a reading of Brooke's poems in the Archer's back-garden. I really wish I had gone now! :)

Alie,

Yes the Old Vicarage Grantchester.

Brooke wrote a poem of the same title in 1912 with the famous final two lines -

"Stands the church clock at ten to three and is there honey still for tea"

Bob.

Cheers guys for that! You must be gutted Paul! I would love to stand in the back garden in time for tea at ten to three!! Let me know if it ever goes up for sale!!

Alie.

The church clock at one time was set permanently at ten to three in homage to Brooke's poem (I believe at Lord A's behest). Is this still the case?

Do we have to put Brooke and Archer's name so closely together. Poor Rupert.

Typical of Archer that he used the vast proceeds of his ghastly books to purchase a house which is a great literary icon both in itself and by association with Brooke - perhaps hoping that some of its greatness might rub off onto his own dismal writings. He perhaps hopes his peerage will turn it into a latter day stately home. Why has he not been stripped of his peerage , by the way ?

Yes, Ian , you may well be right , but I will stick with my analysis based on the demonstrable fact that he is an exceptionally nasty little man !

I wonder if they allow internet access in an open prison :lol:

Probably, and the bandwidth will no doubt be much better than that offered to Iain and our forces in Kosovo!

Gary

Oo-err, I've gone all Radio 2.

Surely Jeffrey is a lovely chap.

It seems to me that it is the ideal place for a Baker's Pals outing.What a place for a meeting of Great War historians and the like.It would be so fitting.

Can you imagine it, strolling across the lawns to the hospitality tent and ordering a pint of John Smiths.What's more we are half way there,we already have a foot in the door.

Regards

Frank East

Yes Frank but his probation conditions specifically don't allow him to associate with dodgy characters which probably covers both Baker's Pals and ex-Cabinet Ministers !